Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger Mark II trigger

Old 06-08-2006, 07:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Ruger Mark II trigger

DONT file or grind your safety , do the work to the new timney trigger it has paint on it where
I wouldn't grind a safety unless the instructions clearly indicated such. I even called Timney to confirm this. They must have had plenty of complaints about the procedure and changed the thickness of the trigger bottom and the procedure because of that. My 22 Hornet with its instructions also indicated to grind away the safety until it fits correctly. I am glad they changed the procedure.It is easier to get a replacement trigger from Timney then a safety from Ruger.Either way if your not careful the safety will not function.

Old 06-08-2006, 12:28 PM

As long as you have some good polishing stones you can do it your self. I did my own on a 270 Stainless and its not hard at all. It does take about 2hours but it very worth it. Jovan
Old 06-08-2006, 03:09 PM
c j
Typical Buck

I just picked up my Ruger 25-06 Stainless today. I had requested that the shop do a trigger job on it right away, knowing how Ruger triggers are. When the guy I was dealing with brought it out, I asked if the trigger work had been done already or if I needed to check it into their gunsmith area now. He said he was pretty sure they hadn't done anything to it yet. He put the bolt in and cycled it and dry-fired it a couple of times. As he was doing this, he kind of had a weird look on his face and said it was an exceptional trigger and that they must have worked on it. I tried it, too, and it was really light and crisp with no creep.Then he took it into the back to ask the gunsmith and came back a few minutes later shaking his head. He said they hadn't touched it but that it was exceptional and that he wouldn't have expected that from Ruger.

So instead of getting anything done to the new 25-06, I dropped off my old tang safety M77 7mag to have its trigger reworked. Thatone needed help in a *big* way.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:29 PM

oldelkhunter I was refering to the MK11 when I was talking about grinding or fileing, I am not familar with trigger work on the 77/22 like you hornet, Im not real sure but I think timneys fix for the 77/22 was a sear replacement only and it might have involved some safety work I just am not sure!! My apologies!!

Also I have read that Ruger is addressing the trigger issues for 2006 and if cjs stainless is new that might answer why his trigger was so good out of the box either way its great that it doesnt need an after market or work on it!!
Old 06-09-2006, 06:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Squirreldog..it was an MK II in 300 win mag . The timney trigger kit at that time came with those instructions. My Hornet had the same deal. Seems like they have 3 different variations of their trigger out there. In 95 I had to send my rifle to timney to do the trigger and they utilized the factory trigger and sear..a few years later the kit came out with trigger/sear and the safety filed down and now your telling me that the trigger gets filed down and not the safety. That is a better deal. I had to remove 1/8" off my safety so their trigger would work if I had removed 1/8" from the bottom of their trigger it would have broken in two pieces.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:32 PM

Never seen one of those jewells oldelkhunter,

if you learn one thing each day at the end of the year you learned 365 new things