Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Question on Sighting In My Rifle - Need Opinions

Old 06-06-2006, 08:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Question on Sighting In My Rifle - Need Opinions

If the bedding and barrel are good,you won't have any problem firing 3 shots fairly quickly before letting the barrel cool.If the shots alwaysform a string as you shoot,there could very well be a gun problem.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

No offense, but sounds like shooter to me. The other rifles you listed are not know for horsepower. Easy shooters.

A 7mm Mag. is a kicker. It can take a lot to get used to and usually the shooter (myself included) can be seemingly unexplicably inaccurate for a while. When I got really good with my .30-06, I thought,well, I can shoot anything. Wrong. I got a .300 Win Mag. a while ago and it's a whole different ball game.

I tried really hard to blame the rifle, but I found an easy check. Vise the gun at the range. If they don't have one, borrow one, or buy one. They're usually not too expensive. After vising the gun, and thus mostly eliminating me from the process, I was surprised to see really tight groups. To my amazement, once I realized I was the problem, I started to shoot better almost immediatly. I'm still not as good with it as my other rifles, but I'm getting better. Keep at it.

By the way, if it turns out that the rifle is loose after putting it in a vise, then it's very possible that the barrel is too new (as mentioned before). Give it 50 to 100 rounds, then try again. If it's still f'd up, take it to a gunsmith and let him evaluate it. Other than that is beyond my espertise.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

A 7mm Mag. is a kicker
Only if you are very sensitive to recoil.I actuall find the 7mmremmag quite mild as far as recoil goes.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:48 AM
Typical Buck

Compared to the 243 he apparently shoots well with, a 7mm Mag has got a bit more recoil/kick to it. Though I will agree it'snot what I consider a monster, recoil wise, itcan take some getting use to.

Strap that puppy into a shooting vise and see what it'll do group wise. That'll answer a lot of questions. Most weatherby rifles have a 1.5" guarantee using premium ammo.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:00 PM
Banned

I have tried lots of different sandbag setups but this is by far the best I have ever used...you maybe need a more solid setup like this.