Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

diffrence?

Old 10-30-2002, 04:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default diffrence?

is there any diffrence between a "shotgun scope" opposed to a regular scope? the obvious is they are compact usually lower objectives and powers and sometimes longer eye relief..but if i put a regular scope on a shotgun will it matter? i was thinking maybe recoil is more on a shotgun and they are built better..but leupold says every scope they make takes 5000 blows with the force of a 375 h&h mag...i had a tasco(i kno bad choice but thats all i had laying around and didnt have time to buy a new scope i just got it back from the gunsmith and needed it to hunt iwth in a day) and it was on my 3006 and it lasted maybe 40 rds...(got it back and shot it and sighted it in...)worked for that season..next season i shot it its ok i shot prolly another box or 2 and its deer season...first day i wound one...loose it...second deer i shot total miss..third deer i just graze it...my dads pretty upset with me by now and blamed me...but all my life even at young ages ive been a really good shot....well i decided to buy a real scope and have something done with the rear sight(thats why i used the crappy scope in the first place i needed something quick and my full sized scope wouldnt fit)..well after i bought the leupold this summer my dad took that scope to put on a slug gun and the guy that mounts them at a shop said it was broke...everytime i moved the power the crosshairs moved!!! when i sight in a always had it all the way up..when i hunt i turn it to like 2.5 usually...that was why it didnt shoot good...so i want a slug gun and am wondering if i have to use a shotgun scope or any scope will work they are only diffrent becasue of the reasons i mentioned? also have u ever seen that problem i had with a scope? for now on im not using junk...loosing 2 deer and missing one about ruined me..i considered not hunting again until i found out it was the scope not the shooter...

Old 10-30-2002, 05:18 PM

Default RE: diffrence?

Mauser06,
Most shotgun scopes have the parallax set at 75yds, and have a longer eye relief.

Rem. 222
Old 10-30-2002, 05:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

what is a parrallax? that may sound dumb but im 15 and dont know much about scopes yet except a few things...

Old 10-30-2002, 06:56 PM
Fork Horn

I must be the luckiest guy in the world. Never heard a good word on here about Tasco. I've got a Tasco World Class Plus 3.5X10X50. Been on my .270 for 7 years now. Since originaly sighting it in I've only had to adjust it twice. Each time 2 clicks was all it took.

Mauser, here is what Leupold says about parallax.
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>What is parallax?

Parallax is essentially an optical illusion. It is the apparent movement of the target relative to the reticle when
you move your eye away from the center point of the eyepiece. It occurs when the target does not fall on the
same optical plane as the reticle.

Maximum parallax occurs when your eye is at the very edge of the exit pupil. (Even in this unlikely event, our
4x hunting scope focused for 150 yards has a maximum error of only 8/10ths of an inch at 500 yards.)

At short distances, the parallax effect does not affect accuracy. (Using the same 4x scope at 100 yards, the
maximum error is less than 2/10ths of an inch.) It is also good to remember that, as long you are sighting
straight through the middle of the scope, or close to it, parallax will have virtually no effect on accuracy in a
hunting situation. <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>
Old 10-30-2002, 08:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx ballistic tip...and i think the scope you have is tascos higher end scope...and may be better than the normal junk they sell...i havea straigh 4 on my 22 and so far its been a great little scope...but when i get the money laying around a leupold is going on that...but not until i have the extra money laying around and the old scope needs cheanged...which after 2 years its life will end withing a year or 2 i bet...so any scope will work either a shotgun scope or regular scope on a shotgun?

thanx
Old 10-31-2002, 09:38 AM

The scope that I have on my slug gun is the Leupold VX-II 2-7X33 Shotgun Scope. It has served me well. It has generous eye relief and heavy duplex(cross hairs) for fast target acquisition. With that being said, any Leupold will hold up to the recoil of a shotgun. If you plan to have a scope that is going to be switched between guns, then a 3-9X40 might be an option. Where I shoot there is a gun that has a Browning Gold Deer hunter in a 20 ga. that has a 3-9X40 and he shoots 1&quot; groups at 100 yds all day. I have a Remington 870 SPS Super Slug Deer Gun in 12 ga. and I am able to put three shots in a circle about the size of my fist at 100 yds. Here is a picture!

Shoot Straight,

SmokePole
Old 10-31-2002, 01:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

im not switching it between guns...i got sick of the one on my mauser that i had b4 and my dad took it when i took it off for his slug gun then we were told it was broke...i was wondering because a guy i buy guns ect from has some used scopes and i can probally find a used leupold(lifetime warrenty im not worried) and i doubt he will ahve a used leupold shotgun scope...so maybe i can find a used 2x7 rifle scope or something down his shop....thanx...

mauser06
Old 10-31-2002, 02:15 PM

the scope has to be mounted to the bbl not the reciever. that and the normal recoil is the reason for the longer eye relief.

Hurry up and wait.