Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Tikka vs Ruger

Old 06-07-2006, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tikka vs Ruger

I think you may be the first person to say a Ruger action is not smooth, at least the first I have ever heard. If you are talking 60grit sandpaper and a bolt action rifle, I think you meant to refer to Savage......
Old 06-07-2006, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nope, though you could probably say that of Savage also, at least the ones I've handled (never owned one).

Now maybe I've been spoiled somewhat by some of my other rifles, the Sakos and pre 64 model 70 for example, but there's no way the Rugers I have owned come close to being described as glass smooth and that goes double for the one I own right now. It's considerably rougher than anything else I've got.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

To those who think "Savages will out shoot them both": Are Savages test fired at the factory to make 3 shots within 1" at 100 yards? Tikkas are. I have 2 of them. With a high quality scope, the solid rings that come with the Tikkas and Premium factory loads I shot within 1" at 200 yards on a rest with the .300 WM and at 100 yards sub 1" groups with no other adjustments gunsmithing done to them out of the box. You may be able to match that with a Savage, but I doubt you'll "out shoot that".
Old 06-09-2006, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Actually it’s 5 shots within 1” group at 100 yards for both Tikka and Sako...
Old 06-09-2006, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

All the more testimony to their accuracy!
Old 06-09-2006, 07:50 PM

They are both pleanty accurate so just pick the one you like the best.....Personally, I would pick the Tikka for the trigger. Regards, Rick.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sparks you've got to be from Wisconsin... "frozen tundra" and "even if the Tikka shot more accurately, I'd still buy the Ruger"!?!?

What thae Hey?

So many posts I read about Rugers are qualified by "after I replaced the trigger assembly" or "had it rebedded". That's not "out of the box" accuracy. You could probably buy just about any rifle and put enough custom work into it and have an acceptable or possibly even pretty accurate rifle.

You get a high quality rifle, very accurate, reasonably priced, well designed, smooth action, smooth trigger, etc. etc. "out of the box" with a Tikka. No kidding, no replacing this or that. The choice is clear to me and a whole lot of other Tikka owners. The head man at a gun shop I bought 2 from in the last 3 years told me they sell more Tikka rifles every year than any other firearm brand or type (handguns, shotguns, rifles). That says a lot to me.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

So many posts I read about Rugers are qualified by "after I replaced the trigger assembly" or "had it rebedded". That's not "out of the box" accuracy. You could probably buy just about any rifle and put enough custom work into it and have an acceptable or possibly even pretty accurate rifle.
This pretty much sums up what I say as well. I came here and started this thread because I had a clan of Ruger lovers all over my @$$ at this one particular website. All of them talking about how Ruger made just as accurate a rifle as Tikka. Problem was that when you got them nailed down to specifics they had replaced the factory trigger with a custom trigger, free floated the barrel, glass bedded the action and worked up a custom handload specific to that rifle. Well I'm sorry. That's not a rifle that Ruger made accurate. That's a rifle that you made accurate.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:03 AM
Typical Buck

I just bought a tikka a few months ago and still haven't got it to shoot to my expectations yet.
Did have a ruger in 260 that would shoot and just bought a used one in 7 mag that will shoot.Haven't figured out what is wrong with the tikka yet,but have tried many different loads and bullets in it.The only thing done to the rugers was adjusting the triggers to 3 lbs.
Below is the 260 ruger and 7 mag ruger and last the tikka anyone want to buy tikka ???

Old 06-23-2006, 11:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Herman, great groups.

Seems like since Al invented the internet that group sizes have been going down down down . Maybe its my imagination. I don't see a lot of people shooting Tikkas but when they do I take notice and I am not seeing these great groups everyone raves about, I see groups one would be proud of at times but see the same with a number of comparable makes. .They are generally good rifles if you can get past the plastic magazine and floorplate and the plastic bolt end cover. Found out the other day this thing is not even needed since the bolt shroud is metal and apparently works well. I think a guy at another site cracked his by using a bore cleaner or degreaser or something along those lines. My question is a.) why make a cheap bolt cover ..how much money do you save b.) why make a plastic triggerguard and magazine ? If they made the durn things out of metal as well as the triggerguard and magazine there is a very good chance 1 or more of them will find their way into my gun safe. Maybe someone should contact Beretta and tell them this(have fun trying).

Quick Reply: Tikka vs Ruger

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.