Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Tikka vs Ruger

Old 06-02-2006, 11:34 PM

Default RE: Tikka vs Ruger

No offense guys. I appreciate all responces but I think we all understand that the shooter makes the most difference. However lets concentrate on the firearm here. There are differences.

Okay, Okay, Okay

Based on the things that I have seen and heard, a Tikka will usually outshoot a Ruger.

However, faced with the proposition of buying one over the other,I would opt for the Ruger. That's just my own personal preference.

You could write 10 pages dealing with all of the things that people dislike about Ruger rifles. Bill Ruger's brand of personal politics, investment casting, Ruger's crazy ideas concerning how to mount a barreled action into a stock, the finish on their wood, some of their barrels, and probably a few things thatI haven't even heard about.

Beretta, as well, has some knocks against them. Once upon a time, some Sako and Tikka rifles literally came apart in people's hands upon firing. It is hard to remember the exact details, butI think that the problem had to do with the way that their stainless steel actions were manufactured. Tikka rifles do have an overabundance of plastic on and in them. They are made by a bunch of foreigners. ((They took our jobs!!! Blah, blah, blah, prattle, prattle) You probably don't watch South Park, but that was a good episode)

In conclusion, it is my opinion that a Tikka rifle will usually outshoot a Ruger. I'll still buy a Ruger. I guess that I'm retarded for Ruger rifles

Old 06-03-2006, 05:20 AM

I quess you could say some Tikkas shoot as good or better than Rugers, But I think the Rugers biggest proplem is the trigger, meaning that the Tikka is probably easier to shoot more accurate. I did the trigger on this one myself and it has a AccurateInnovations stock on it It shoot sub moa.
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g184/Morgan5_2006/rifle_0151resized.jpg
Old 06-03-2006, 05:34 AM

I have two Tikkas (.243 & .30-06) and one Ruger 77 MKII. Both Tikkas were great right out of the box. You just can't beat the trigger! The Ruger shoots real well now that the barrel has been freefloated and the trigger replaced with an aftermarket (Dayton Trister). At this point I'm not sure the difference between the Tikkas and the Ruger are the rifle or me.
Old 06-03-2006, 05:45 AM

Yea, I quess your ability to shoot one well ( if its an accurate rifle) has a lot to do with the confidence you have in that particular rifle. Ive seen my cousins Tikkas shoot very very well with factory ammo, probably could do better with some good hand loads. Ive never held one with a wooden stock, and I am a wood person, I dont like the plastic on either brand.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

All the rugers that I have owned were great rifles after some trigger work.All the tikkas that I have been around ( never owned one ) were ok and after some trigger work they were -- ok. Take the ruger any day.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tikka.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tikka out of the box with a quality scope and premimum ammo with outshoot any rifle for the price and a whole lot more several times their price.

Not only is their floating barrel superior (it's the same barrel as Sako), the adjustable trigger assembly is far better (smoother, no slop), well designes and excellent quality manufacturing. What other rifle at the price is test fire for 1" group of shots at 100 yards at the factory?

"Plastic"?! Nearly every manufacturer offers synethetic and/or composite these days. For those who want their rifles that take hard use to hold up in only makes sense. By the way DoD has companies make high performance jet fighters and bombers partly out of synthetic and composites. You can drive a nail (figuratively) with a synthetic stock. That is not a bad thing!
Old 06-06-2006, 07:39 PM
Banned

I lean more towards American products and guns. Rugers though are hit and miss in the accuracy dept in my experience. Plenty of other American firearms though. A Savage, out of the box, will outshoot both of them.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you want to pull the rifle out of the box and not have to worry about adjusting the trigger, free floating the barrel, and awesome accuracy, get the Tikka. Rugers have been a hit and miss type deal for alot of guys. I personally have owned 2 Ruger M77MKIIs, and neither was less than a 1.5MOA gun. On the other hand, I have a buddy that bought a used M77 with the tang safety in 243 and it will make a ragged hole at 100 yards with any ammo you put in it, and another buddy owned a M77KII in 25-06 that would put 3 under 1" all day long.

I prefer the M77 action to the Tikka, as I love the way the Ruger locks up. Both actions are smooth as glass, and I really don't think you could make a bad decision between either gun. Another nice thing, both come with scope rings.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rammer
Both actions are smooth as glass, and I really don't think you could make a bad decision between either gun.
That may be the first time I've ever seen the Ruger action described as "smooth as glass". The ones I've owned, including the current one, haven't come close to being "smooth as glass". Rough as 60 grit sandpaper would be more accurate.

Nevertheless, quick cycling of thebolt is not a majorconcern of mine because of how and what I hunt.So, rough bolt or notI like Rugers. However, in my experience with them they are not typically as accurate as Tikkas. I was once embarrassed at the range by a guy (from Trinidad of all places) shooting a bone stock Tikka .300 Win mag with factory ammo. His groups were about half the size of what I was doing with my bedded Sako shooting meticulously prepared handloads. It was a humbling.

Quick Reply: Tikka vs Ruger

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.