Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Any experience with Hill Country Rifles?

Old 05-29-2006, 06:20 AM

Default Any experience with Hill Country Rifles?

Looking for some feedback from anybody that has had some experience with Hill Country Rifles. I'm getting closer to ordering a Harvester in 30-06 from them based on a Rem 700. Any suggestions or experience with their rifles you could offer are much appreciated.

Old 05-29-2006, 06:50 AM

Default RE: Any experience with Hill Country Rifles?

I sent them a Remington .270 Mountain Rifle action & they did a good job. THe McMillan stock is great and the trigger is beutiful. The only two gripes would be 1) It took almost 3 months and 2)they must use a vise when they test shoot.The best group I get with factory ammo is right at 1 inch. All that said, I'm not dissapointed. I haven't tried handloads yet.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:54 AM

Swisslake,

How long ago was is that you had the rifle done and how was the fit of the stock (i.e., did the barrel channel look good, etc.). Also, I assume the McMillan stocks are seemless? An honest inch with factory ammo from a mountain rifle sounds pretty good to me.

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I sent them one of my Sakos back in February for a new Lilja barrel. So far I don't have it back, but they told me it would be at least a 4 month job, so I don't look for it back until late June. This is the first time I've ever used them.

I asked questions about them on another site before sending my rifle to them and I don't think I got a single negative response. Based on all the positive feedback I decided to send them my rifle. If they do a good job with the barrel I'm probably going to send the rifle back next year for a McMillan stock. I just didn't feel like I needed to do both this year since my son's school tuition comes due about the same time I'll have to pay for the rifle work.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:00 AM

Did you just want a longer barrel on the Sako? I was considering a Sako (5 shot MOA guarantee), but really would like an American gun for this .30-06. I do have a Tikka T3 in 7mm-08 and love that little gun!
Old 05-29-2006, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

No, the barrel length was okay. I just wanted a new chambering since I had been reloading for the .300 Weatherby for quite a while and was bored with it. Plus Ifelt like the stock barrel was at the beginning stages of becoming shot out.This new barrel is going to be chambered for the .300 Win Mag, a cartridge I haven't reloaded for and one that's probably more inherently accurate than the Wby.

I know what you mean about the .30-06, wanting an American made rifle, that is. I've been shooting and hunting since the early 70's and finally about a year and a half ago bought a .30-06 for the first time. For this classic American cartridge I wanted a classic American rifle, so I bought a pre '64 Winchester model 70. I've really enjoyed it. Accuracy is better than I ever expected.

Take care.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:51 PM

I had mine done from 2-05 to 5-05. Fit & finish of the McMillan stock is great. It started with a laminated stock, weighing in at 6.625lbs. After I got it back with the McMillan stock it is 5lb 15oz.. You're very right, I shouldn't be complaining about 1" accuracy with factory ammo. The ammo I found that it shoots that with is the 130gr sciracco by Remington.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Lets see 1595 for the Harvester and it gets 3 shots into an 1" or under with factory ammo. Still have a glorified Remington. Sako 75 5 shots into an inch or under 1000-1300 dollars factory rifle..pretty much a no brainer. Don't you agree?
Old 05-30-2006, 09:54 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

Lets see 1595 for the Harvester and it gets 3 shots into an 1" or under with factory ammo. Still have a glorified Remington. Sako 75 5 shots into an inch or under 1000-1300 dollars factory rifle..pretty much a no brainer. Don't you agree?
This is true. You could probably buy 3 700's and test fire them all, and one will shoot that good out of box. Chances are.

And your still stuck with crappy trigger, and cheap c-clip extractor.

But you have to admit OEH, the sako synthetic stocks ain't that great. One think you can say with these, is you got a decent stock out of the deal.

Old 05-30-2006, 10:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

And your still stuck with crappy trigger, and cheap c-clip extractor.
and a non field strippable bolt and a bolt that doesn't lock on safety and is made of 3 separate pieces of steel and on and on.

But you have to admit OEH, the sako synthetic stocks ain't that great. One think you can say with these, is you got a decent stock out of the deal.
You can pickup a SS synthetic for 1100 dollars and throw a mcmillan on it for 450 and then tell me what you have. As far as the synthetics REMWINRUGER are putting on their guns you have to agree the sako is much better.You can alsospend 1300 dollars on a greywolf and not have to worry about any replacment stock. I have yet to see a better laminate stock on a factory gun, If I were to buy a mcmillan it would be just to say I have a mcmillan on my gun .

Quick Reply: Any experience with Hill Country Rifles?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.