Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Strange target request....

Old 05-30-2006, 11:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Strange target request....

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

This is the best I could come up with:

http://www.outdoorsuperstore.com/product.asp?manufacturer=DELTA&model=TRU%2DLIF E+ANIMAL+TARGETS

I guess if you wanted you could cut the rest of the body away leaving you with just the head.

OBTW, You seem a little confrontational in some of your replies. I remember you from previous posts and You always seem to come across as arrogant. Maybe its unintentional but it comes across. Just food for thought.

Thanks for the help those will probably work. I'm not trying to come across as arrogant. I just don't have time nor do I appreciate useless and/or off-topic posts.

Old 05-31-2006, 05:26 PM
Typical Buck

Perhaps the reason it is not common to find a "deer head target" is because most hunters do not commonly take head shots. If there was a big demand for that type of target someone would be making them.

Take a lemon and sit it on a pop can. If you can hit the lemon or the pop can every time at the distance you intend to shoot, then you could probably go for head shots at that distance.

But be aware that if a deer just turned its head at the moment you are squeezing the trigger the small target could move, say, an inch or two. That would not matter with a chest point of aim but for a head shot it could mean a miss or worse (a wounded deer). I think there is a time and place for a head shot but I have always managed to find a better option.

Robin
Old 05-31-2006, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BrutalAttack

ORIGINAL: retrieverman

The only guys that I know taking head shots do their deerhunting with spotlights and 22 magnums and are always looking over their shoulders for a game warden.
I am the authority in this state, and I havea good reason for taking head shots so don't worry about it.
Whatkind of"authority" are you supposed to be and in what state?
Old 06-01-2006, 03:47 AM

Boyz, I just think you had a conversation with the President of Iduhoe.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:54 AM

R U single Brutal? I know what love is. Jenny is (my girl) and we hunt ducks and what not together. You should get a fella and be happy.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

hehhe. This is kinda funny.

We (the state agency)arerequired by law to use any means necessary to stop crop damage. After non-lethal means have lost their effectiveness,we execute kill permits. We don't enjoy or use these except as last resort.

So, due to the sensitive nature of these permits and the close proximity to populated areas, we don't like using the traditional "vitals" shot if we are at close enough range. On a personal level I would never take a head shot on an animal during a hunting situation. I don't even take a regular shot unless I'm very sure I can make a good shot. However, these aren't hunting situations, and unfortunately, I cannot afford to have a liver or lung shot elk run 200 yards onto someone else's property, across the state line (which came up recently), onto a major highway (also came up recently) or into an old lady's rose garden before dying.We can't have that kind of bad publicity, we have enough controversy as it is. I'm sure we all realize that even ifa personmakes a great shot on an animal they don't always drop in their tracks. Of course anything like this goes on out of sight and, if possible, out of earshot, butthere is still the potential for some very bad situations.

So that leaves me with two options: a head shot or breaking the front shoulders. Breaking the front shoulders is certainly the better option in my mind except for the fact that the animal will suffer before it's finished off with a closer shot.

So what I'm trying to do is get a feel for just how and at what range we can make headshots at. Since I have almost no experience with headshooting deer and elk I figured some practice is in order. Based on my groups I'm pretty confident at 50 yards or less. I shoot at least once a week and I wanted to practice head shots in as realistic a manner possible.

And of course we willusea much higher percentage shot placement when the situationallows.

I don't know why I have to explain myself to a couple of keyboard cowboys but there you go.

When I say I'm the authority, I mean that we don't have to explain to anyone whywe use the methods thatwe use. If you know anything about wildlife law, you know that the states own the wildlife and where management of non-endangered species are involved, hold the ultimate authority. This is particularly true in depredation situations.Or did Istay at a Holiday Inn Express last night?

So in closing, I'm sorry for getting the "head shot police" all riled up. And no I'm not single sorry Bubba.

**DISCLAIMER** IN NO WAY DO I CONDONE, ADVOCATE, SANCTION, SUPPORT or PROMOTE THE USE OF HEADSHOTS ON ANY UNGULATE IN ANY HUNTING SITUATION. **DISCLAIMER**
Old 06-02-2006, 02:59 AM

MY MY!!!!

I guess we all have been told and put in our place.

Old 06-02-2006, 06:52 AM
Fork Horn

I really don't see that anyone has been put in thier place. I have yet to see a lung shot elk run 200 yards. And what is your problem with Cowboys? As usual, can't reply without being a jerk!
Old 06-02-2006, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't really have anything against cowboys it's just a term.

Well if you want to use that as an argument for us to change our policy then go head I'll listen. It's not like I personally want to use headshots.

I just don't understand why we are having this discussion. I don't understand why I need to explain myself on a frickin internet forum. The concept is pretty simple it seems to me. Someone posts a question or concern and they get an answer from someone in the community. Simple as that. My thread didn't say: "hey lets debate using headshots". See where I'm coming from?
Old 06-02-2006, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BrutalAttack

I just don't understand why we are having this discussion. I don't understand why I need to explain myself on a frickin internet forum. The concept is pretty simple it seems to me. Someone posts a question or concern and they get an answer from someone in the community. Simple as that. My thread didn't say: "hey lets debate using headshots". See where I'm coming from?
I don't care if you are the "authority" or whatever you want to call yourself. Your request for head shot targets is what started this discussion. Did you not think that posing such a question on a HUNTING forum where head shots are typically considered "unethical" would not stir up some controversy? And furthermore, the "I am the authority in this state and have good reason for taking head shots so don't worry about it" comment catapulted you right into the smartass jerk catagory of posters. I have looked back at some of yourprevious posts, and this attitude is pretty typical. If you don't want to hear from a bunch of "keyboard cowboys", ask your "authority" buddies instead of a HUNTING forum next time.

Quick Reply: Strange target request....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.