Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ported Barrel

Old 10-30-2002, 05:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ported Barrel

Are there any advantages or disadvantages to having a ported barrel and if so what are they? Thanks!
Old 10-30-2002, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ported Barrel

The main advantage to having a barrel ported is reduced recoil. The main disadvantage is the noise level goes up quite a bit.
Old 10-30-2002, 05:00 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-30-2002, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

So, DG, why do some pistols and rifles have ported barrels, someone must believe that porting reduces recoil!! I'm not flaming, I'm just asking. Do pistols and rifles not benifit from porting?
Old 10-30-2002, 05:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

i heard shotguns it reduces recoil and improves patterns...rifles i seen things like the boss system...and it reduces recoil...and all it is is porting...i think

Old 10-30-2002, 06:30 PM

i have one in my 1895M.

i do not like it at all.it seems to do nothing for me or that i have noticed. but make a louder CRACK ! when fired.

Old 10-30-2002, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Porting and muzzle brakes work to reduce/redirect recoil buy changing the direction of the gas' thrust.

In a normal barrel the bullet and all of the gasses created accelerate almost straight out the barrel. The equal and opposite reaction is that the rifle tends to accelerate backward into the shooters shoulder. As we all know, the heavier the bullet and powder charge (the mass of ejecta) is, and the faster accelerate both causes recoil to increase.

By adding a muzzle brake like the Browning BOSS some of the gasses leaving the muzzle, and the thrust they produce, are redirected outward in a ring rather than forward, which reduces the amount of recoil on the rifle and shooter.

Porting works in a similar but usually less efficient fashion, usually with other goals in mind as well. Pistols, especially large magnum revolvers, often have ports cut into the top of the barrel toward the muzzle. These cause some reduction in felt recoil, but primarily serve to control the tendency of the muzzle to rise (muzzle flip) which serves to increase shooter comfort and control and allow faster more accurate follow-up shots. Shotguns usually are ported for the same reasons. Like I said, porting tends to be less effective at reducing actual recoil forces than a muzzle brake is.

Military rifles, like the M16A2, use a "compensator" to reduce muzzle climb while in burst mode, reduce muzzle flash, and direct muzzle blast away from the ground to prevent dust from being kicked up by a prone shooter.

Mike

Gun control means putting the second bullet through the same hole as the first- Ted Nugent
NRA Member
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Franklin
Old 10-30-2002, 08:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

wow drift wood...you definently know your stuff(least it sounds like it lol)..thanx for filing us in...i never knew the real reason it was there just what i heard...i heard close i suppose lol..

mauser06
Old 10-31-2002, 12:24 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-31-2002, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the imput! The reason i ask is because i'm looking at buying an H&R single shot rifle in 30.06 caliber and it has the compensated barrel on it. I never knew what it was for, i know i've heard it made the gun a little louder but I knew that H&R had to put it on there for reasons other than that. Again thanks!

Quick Reply: Ported Barrel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.