Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

barrel length

Old 05-21-2006, 11:59 AM

Default barrel length

I was just wondering where the proper place to begin measuring the barrel is to get it's length. I am assumuing right where it touches the action but just wanted to make sure. The reason I ask is because I have a 700 BDL in 7mm-08 which they don't make anymore. The CDL is listed as a 24" barrel but I wasn't sure if they'd be the same. Would a 22" barrel make a significant difference, I notice that some longer action rifles (270, etc) still come in the 22" and was wondering why they would make a short action in a 24". Thanks
Old 05-21-2006, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: barrel length

Measure from the end of the muzzle to the front edge of the vent hole on the receiver on your Rem. This will give you barrel length. As to 22 in. vs. 24 in., ( and I'll probably hear about this one ), an OLD rule of thumb was you lose about 50 fps. for each inch of barrel length. This can be a very variable condition, but may be close enough to give you a rough idea.
I'm sure others on here will be glad to give you some further insight as to barrel length vs. velocity. Check some reloading manuals for data taken out of their test firearms and see what barrel length was used in load workup. We all know different manuals will give slightly different data, but it is a place to start, and give you some ideas.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: barrel length

Actually the barrel length is measured from the bolt face to the end of the barrel.....but it's about the same as to the bleed hole.....we're talking very minor differences.

About velocity.....a better rule of thumb is about 25-30'/sec per inch loss.....I'd venture you will loose 50 feet/sec going from the 24" to the 22" barrel......it's purely academic.