Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Attn: Shotgunners

Old 05-19-2006, 10:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Attn: Shotgunners

I'veown severalguns, but I currently own no shotguns. I'm think that may be the next addition to the collection. I don't hunt ducks, but pheasants, quail, dove, predators, and hogs are all possibilities. I want a semi-auto, preferably with a synthetic stock.

I've been looking at Franchi I-12's, Remington 11-87's, and maybeBrowning Gold's. Any thoughts on these?

Money is an object.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Attn: Shotgunners

funny you mention that. I just aquired a brand new 11-87 sportsmen completely dipped in MO camo. I got it used but never fired for $450.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:08 AM

never been around the franchi but have heard mostly good things. The remington and browning should never give you any problems. Add the beretta al390/3901/391 (all *pretty much* the same gun) and just choose whichever feels right, looks right, and costs right. You have alot of "workhorse" options in the semi shotgun market.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:18 PM

I know that there will be at least 1 other person out there that disagrees(and dosent own one) but I won a Stoeger a few years back, and I absolutly love it! I also own a couple 11-87's and they are great guns too, but I tell ya what, for the money I'd own a Stoeger before ANY other semi-auto on the market!

Great shooting gun, VERY easy to clean, VERY simple mechanics, super reliable, easy swinging gun, just the perfect balance of features and form!

The only down fall......it took 100 - 125 magnum 3"shells to get the spring loose enoung to reliablyhandle the low brass shells I use for Dove, Pheasant, Grouse, Ect......So be prepared for a long day at the trap shooting range to get the gun properly broken in.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:28 PM
Fork Horn

NT,
I have a Browning Gold 3.5 wood and blued, and hunted ducks, geese, and pheasants, but when I hunted the pheasants we walked a lot and man it was a load to carry through the fields. So let me ask a couple questions; Are you looking fora 20ga, camo, or wood??????? I actually retired the the Browning and purchased a nova....but lets stick to the topic...my vote would go to the SBE if you wanted a nice semi auto. A little more pricey, second choice is a 11-87.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:15 PM

Take a look at the Winchester Super X3. I have heard good things about the Super X2, and the X3 has got to be even better because it is just an improved X2. And they affordable guns (for a semi-auto anways). If I were you, though, I'd look for a used Benelli M2. It's basically the same gun as the SBE II, but it's only chambered for the 3" mag.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Of the 3 that you mentioned, I have limited experience. I have a constable friend that has a Franchi and loves it, and another friend that shoots an 11 87 and loves it. I am more into Berettas and Benellis, but I do have a 1970 model A5 that I would not sell for a million dollars. I am assuming that you are trying to stay in a certain price range. If I were you, I would read some reviews and find a gun that fits me for the money that I wanted to spend. Good luck with your choice.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't want to disagree with anyone, but before you take advice on a shotgun from someone, make sure that whatthey are recommending, is in their gun safe. I can tell you the Winchester Super X2 is one of the hardest shotguns in the world to keep clean and will jam if it even sees a piece of dirt. The best auto is a Beneli, period. They just can't be beat. They are very simple to clean, and they will not jam unless they are filthy. However, if you are on a budget, IMHO it would be better to buy a quality pump than a cheap automatic. The Beneli Nova or the Remington 870 would top my list.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:53 PM

Those 2 shotguns are old designs but very well made. I am about to by a Winchester Super XII shotgun. Kinda pricey but a great design.
Also Remington has just come out with a new semi auto design that is supposed to really cut down on recoil. I can't remember what it's model is but it should be on the website by now. But it is well over a grand.
mco
Old 05-21-2006, 12:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

You couldn't pay me enough money to carry a Super X2 or a Browning Gold. Yep, I've had 'em both within the last 2 years, and both were very very finicky in cold weather, and if they got any sort of debris in them, they would not function properly. The only semi auto that has met and excreeded my expectations is the Benelli M1 Super 90 and the M2 Benelli. I have one of each in my cabinet, and will have more by fall. If you are on a budget, get a Stoeger.

Quick Reply: Attn: Shotgunners

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.