Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Muzzle crown and accuracy?

Old 10-28-2002, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Muzzle crown and accuracy?

Just out of curiosity, regarding a heavy barreled target rifle, what are the benefits/drawbacks of the different muzzle crown types (ie normal (flat), recessed, concave, parabolic, etc...)?

I know that it's very important that the bullet leaves all the lands at the exact same time, and that the crown be perfectly circular, but I'm wondering if the different types are functional or cosmetic.

Thanks,

Mike

Gun control means putting the second bullet through the same hole as the first- Ted Nugent
NRA Member
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Franklin
Old 10-28-2002, 09:31 PM

Default RE: Muzzle crown and accuracy?

I believe that the different types of crowns are cosmetic in difference. They should all be recessed slightly from the end of the barrel to protect the rifling from damage and your right about the way the bullet should leave all of the lands at the same time and the bore should be perfectly circular.
Old 10-29-2002, 05:46 AM

I have customers that swear by 15 degree some 60 degree and others everywhere in between, as long as the crown is true your alset.

RON KONTOWSKY
DEAN`S GUNSHOP 2

CUSTOM GUNSMITHING CUSTOM PISTOLSMITHING
Old 10-29-2002, 07:34 AM
Typical Buck

The primary purpose of the crown is to protect the muzzle end of the lands. That is why all crowns are recessed to one degree or another. The benefits of a recessed, concaved, etc. versus a straight flat muzzle is that it is protected more as to were the straight flat muzzle is much more susceptible to dings and/or nicks that will disrupt accuracy. As long as the crown is cut true and square to the bore, regardless of the style, is all you can wish for. As far as styles go, some will swear by their functionality, but to me they are cosmetic. I will cut any style a customer wants, but I will always make sure that whatever style it is, it is cut true and square.