Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

S&W model 29

Old 05-08-2006, 08:41 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: S&W model 29

Yea, I read that too in handloader I think. Got a special issue on the Mod29.

They can make threads that are resistant to that like leupold uses on thier rings, or taper threads.

I dont' know, maybe it is bad. I have put thousands of full power 24gr H110 240gr rounds thru it and its very accurate, besides one cylinder.

Old 05-08-2006, 08:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Makes you wonder how much QC they had in place. I think one could have sued them for fraud..their engineers and gunsmiths damn well knew those guns weren't holding together. I won't buy another I can guarantee you that.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:05 AM
bigcountry

I don't know OEH, I have had pythons, anacondas, super blackhawks do the same thing.

Old 05-08-2006, 09:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

You mean with the side plate loosening and the crane assembly then being out of wack enough that you can't empty your gun? I am talking loosening after maybe 10-20 rounds..I didn't handload pistols back then but the way that came loose not sure I could have done better with lower velocity handloads.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:38 AM
bigcountry

Nope, never had my sideplate fall off. I am big pistol fan, so I shoot fairly regular. And shoot around 150 rounds a sitting. I mean heavy recoil rounds. 1400fps 240gr rounds.

I agree, that is a problem. 10-20 rounds. But mod 29 is famous for being one of the best 44's of its time. Sorry you had so many issues. don't blame ya for being salty on them.

Old 05-08-2006, 09:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Most all guns have good and bad traits. There is no doubt that from the box, the Model 29 is a sweet gun. Smooth Action and good trigger and I never had an accuracy issue with any Smith that I have owned. However, for many years they have been famous for getting out of time without an abundance of heavy loads. I have had to many of them retimed to even remember. If I was going to buy a 44 Mag revolver to be carried a lot and fired a little, my first choice would be the 29. I really liked the 5 inch classic that came out 15-18 years ago. However If I want one to abuse and fire heavy, nasty loads for a long time, then the Redhawk or Super Redhawk and Raging Bull will get the job every time. At one time, I had 29 S&W pistols and revolvers so I am no stranger to their guns. I am now down to two. One Auto and one revolver. Its true that retiming them is not a hugh deal but they get the bucks for their products and a guy should not have to mess with them.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

However If I want one to abuse and fire heavy, nasty loads for a long time, then the Redhawk

or Super Redhawk and Raging Bull will get the job every time
Same time I owned that 629 I owned a 686 .357 I had zip problems with that revolver. If I were to buy another 357-44mag sized revolver it will probably be a Ruger although the Taurus revolvers look good as well
Old 05-08-2006, 04:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

I had awful good luck with the Smith 38 and 357's Even the 45Colt revolvers. As I recall the 45 LC was built on the trooper frame. I think it was the model 27. To many models over the years. I had a Model 10 in 357 Mag which they didn't make officially. However I later found out that the NYPD ordered a run of them. The most accurate revolver I ever held in my hand was the Model 610 Smith that shot the 40's and 10's with the moon clips. Funny part is that it shot the 40's better than the 10's which really makes no sense with the extra jump to the cone. I had a couple 45 ACP Revolvers with the moon clips as well. In competition shooting, with a little practice you could load those half moon clips pretty fast as well. I loved the Smiths until I had my first 44 Mag. I soon soured on them after that. I still like the litttle j frames.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:11 PM
Typical Buck

Well, that does it! I am buyin the dern thing! EJ
Old 05-08-2006, 05:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Quick Reply: S&W model 29

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.