Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which handgun for my first conceal carry??

Old 04-28-2006, 04:40 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Which handgun for my first conceal carry??

Buy what fits your hand and that you can shoot well. Any round is a good choice provided you are capable of doing what is needed under pressure. Six quick shots from a 22LR. with CCI solid stingers in a 3" group will stop anyone in thier tracks.
Practice,practice, practice is the key. Buy a GOOD HOLSTER and a BELT DESIGNED FOR A HOLSTER. The hardest thing to conceal on any handgun is the grip. A well designed holster and good belt you can carry a Govt Model 1911 or any other auto or revolver. People who complain about a firearm's weight or size 9 times out of10 have skimped on the holster and belt or went for a decent holster and skimped on the belt. The Uncle M's nylon and such holsters don't cut it and neither does a normal dress or sport belt.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Before you buy anything, look at the 7 shot Taurus 357 Mag in the Titanium. I believeitweighs one lb loaded. Nothing beats the 357 for one shot stops and this one is light enough to carry all the time. I believe S&W makes the same gun as well.
Old 04-29-2006, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another vote for a Springfield XD. I have the Tactical model in 40 right now, and if I had to do it over again I would probably get the 4" Service gun, just because its kinda hard to hide the 5" gun. If I could bring myself to do it I would buy an XD Compact an carry it 24/7.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:13 PM

I've carried handguns as large as a redhawk .44 (winter clothes for sure). I can tell you that a 48 oz revolver is a little too much for every day carry. In the cooler months I carry a ruger gp-100 3" or a Glock 23. In warm months I carry a airweight j-frame .38 spcl. I don't feel undergunned with five shots since I'm not reallygoing in to battle.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:13 PM

g19
Old 05-08-2006, 07:46 AM
Typical Buck

Kal-tec, Kahr or XDSC. all good choices.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:36 PM
Fork Horn

I carried a Kimber Compact for a long time in a Wild Bills Holster but I have to say that 45 got heavy.... I have sinced started carrying a Taurus CIA in 357 load with 38 special +P much easier on the hip....JMO....
Old 05-11-2006, 10:57 PM

This is my narrowed down list, theH&K USPc 40, Glock 23, or Glock 30. I liked the Sig's and what I've read from them, but the capacity isn't too great on the 239, and the 229 is too fat to carry. The S&W has poor capacity, and I don't like the SS. Basically, I'm going to try and rent these guns for my final decision. Who knows, maybe I'll pick something out of left field. Thanks for all the input.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

If the "c" in "USPc 40" stand for 'compensated", you may wish to consider choosing a sidearm with a solid barrel instead. The reason is this... Compensated guns blast hot gas and small chunks of hot metal upward through the ports when the gun is fired. Self defense shootings often occur at very close range, and sometimes with the attacker within arm's reach or even touching you. The smart defender will need to keep their gun in close to their body to keep it from being grabbed and taken away by the bad guy. This firing position points the ports right into your face. Bad idea. The effect is made worse if your muzzle is already in contact with your attacker when you have to shoot. Just something to think about.

Everything you are considering is a quality product. If it fits you, and it has the features you want, get it.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:00 PM
Fork Horn

I carry a Glock 23 40 s&w in a Don Hume holster it is a good set-up for me I am 6'4 240lbs. and my wife cant even tell I am carrying chad

Quick Reply: Which handgun for my first conceal carry??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.