Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What is Leupold thinking?

Old 04-24-2006, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default What is Leupold thinking?

What exactly is going thru the minds of those marketing people and execs in Oregon. I think they have flat out lost their minds. When they started getting famous they basically had 2 lines of scopes Vari-x II and VAri-xIII. They at the time were the only scopes I would buy with the occasional US made Redfield/ Burris or Zeiss Swarovski.They now have 6 lines of scopes. I think out of all the scope manufacturers other then maybe Bushnell they have twice the lineup. RIfleman,VX-I,VX-II,VX-III.VX-L,LPS and their Military/Tactical stuff. Overpriced by a fair degree and simply does not cut the mustard compared to their competition. They still have very compact ,lightweight scopes but in other areas such as resolution and brightness their glass is not up to it.Sorry to see such a fine line of optics lose their edge. The marketing genius that pushed for the VX-L should be run out of town.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What is Leupold thinking?

It all has to do with bucks. So many people are going out and buying junk and putting them on their guns the companies that make quaility scops are begining to nuckel under to get into the cheeper market which lets face it is where the money is. If you can sell 10 scopes for $100 and one for $300 you are going to make more money on the cheeper ones. They still make a quility scope but you are going to have to pay for it. But the american way has always been try to get somthing for nothing. You get what you pay for. Remember that old saying is never more true then it is today in this dollor grabbing socity we have today. Mike
Old 04-24-2006, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with your sentiments. I think Leupold should put more effort into their middle and upper end products and drop the low end crap. If they put the same quality of glass in their VX-III line that Zeiss puts into its Conquest line I'd probably buy nothing but VX-III's. They're trying to be too many things to too many people. They should have put their efforts into finding better glassand coatings instead of developing thathideous VX-L monstrosity.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:00 AM
bigcountry

I agree, the VX-L is stupid. But as far as brightness and optical quality. All the tests I have done prove much otherwise.

Old 04-24-2006, 09:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Now why did I know you would say that
Old 04-24-2006, 09:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

But as far as brightness and optical quality. All the tests I have done prove much otherwise.
What exactly did they prove?
Old 04-24-2006, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

The new L line stands for LOSER.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:15 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

But as far as brightness and optical quality. All the tests I have done prove much otherwise.
What exactly did they prove?
Same thing as before OEH. Its about yeild. No two piece of optic are going to be the same. But there is a specification. Thats what we do here. Some filters we make work better than others, but we only guarantee a spec to meet or excceed. Same thing here. You can pick up a bad conquest or a great VXIII. Or viseversa. You can test one in the display case for contrast and brightness, but that sure don't guarantee you the boxed one you just got will be the same.

I know I tested a conquest against a VXIII against a Vari XIII. And the VXIII won. My tests consistened of a back reflection test to test index of refraction on both lenses andwhat you call glare. Where was basicaly none onthe VX or the conquest and some on the Vari-X. And a contrast test for "light gathering" reading a optics test page for resolution. The vari-X III came in last. All had 40mm objective. A 50mm would have been unfair as it has alot more resolution.

Only way one could sit there and say without a doubt one is better than the other is to gather up 20 or so of each and quantify each aspect.

But I do believe, the conquest is a much better construction. But I am not a mechanical engineer, I am a optic guy. Yep, I sure would rather have a conquest due to that one point. As I don't hunt nights, and if you can't make out a deer with your bare eye but need a scope to do it, I won't take shot like that. And I am not really a field hunter either.

Old 04-24-2006, 10:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have not even seen these. Where do they fit in price wise? I don't blame Leupold for trying to get a share of the lower end as well. Many of the 150-200 dollar scopes are pretty good quality. If they can't compete for that market, they are loosing a good share. You can buy a very good dependable scope for 150-200 dollars The VX-l fills that same need.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:26 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: James B

I have not even seen these.
Made for low mounting!

Quick Reply: What is Leupold thinking?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.