Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What is Leupold thinking?

Old 05-02-2006, 06:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What is Leupold thinking?

I’d have to agree, Leupold certainly wasn’t thinking when they came up with this scope. They’ve totally ignored the Alumina Accessory line with this one.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:20 AM

Its called thinking outside of the box. Some will like it, others like me will turn up their noses at it.

My problem with the new VX line is that they don't seem to be reliable as the old vari-x's. I don't like the two piece tubes, and the adjustments move closer to 1/2 MOA instead of 1/4. Now I'm not just basing this on one isolated incident, rather about 6 scope that I, my father, and My friend have bought over the last couple of years.

I've actually switched from a die hard Leo man to buying Weaver Grand Slams almost exclusively.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

[quote][/My problem with the new VX line is that they don't seem to be reliable as the old vari-x's. I don't like the two piece tubes, and the adjustments move closer to 1/2 MOA instead of 1/4. Now I'm not just basing this on one isolated incident, rather about 6 scope that I, my father, and My friend have bought over the last couple of years.

quote]

My gunsmith from Alabama who builds all kinds of hunting rifles used to be a serious Leuopold zealot. Last few years he is tired of fielding phone calls from customers who have mounted Leupolds on their custom rifles and complain about the accuracy only to find out the scope is in question. Now mind you it doesn't always happen with just Leupolds. As a result when I asked his opinion on a new scope this past January he told me in no uncertain terms to look elsewhere. Swarovski,Kahles and Zeiss was the answer. FWIW.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have certainly had no trouble with accuracy with my VX-l's. Nor my Aetecs. My M8's are also very dependable. I just read a good review on the low cost Simmons Pro-Hunter. The new ones are not the real cheap ones. I think 90.00 or so but it tested very well In the American Hunter. I usually don't like to go with cheap variables but I will try one of the new Master series Pro-Hunters.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:25 PM
Fork Horn

I have a number of Leupolds and would not buy anything but a Leupold.I agree that leupold has too many lines of scopes.They need to ditch the Riflman.That scopes only downgrades their name.The quality of the Rifleman lower them down to a bushnell when you are talking about that scope.I think the VXI allso needs a boot.If they stick with their VXII and up they will continue to be a hit.The new VXL line is great.I have heard the lower your scope sits the more accurate it is.Even if it does not help the accuratcy some people dont like to have their head off the stock and up in space just to see down their scope.Shir it looks funny but your just are not used too something that looks like that.I think Leupold will drop their price after a year of two with the scope on the market.I agree that some people will not buy it becuse of the look.That is another reason why the price will drop down to the price of the VXIII.I love the amount of light that I get in with the lences of the Leupold VXII.In my (((opinion))) it is better than the Ziess conquest and you dont have to spend big money if you get one off ebay.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:46 PM
Fork Horn

I've had great luck with Leupold. I like the fact that they have a scope in all those different price ranges. I also just gottwo custom ballistic dials in 50 yd increments to 1000 yds andthey areright on the money, contrary to what I was told by a lot of optics/gun experts that gave me advice on this forum. Accurate and very reliable.
Old 05-06-2006, 03:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

The VX-l is a very good scope. They have proven that to me in the field. They do lack some snob appeal because the average hunter can afford to buy one but I won't hold that against them. There are many of us, who because we don't need to, will not lay out the bucks for the VX-ll. Leupold was loosing out on our business before but with the VX-1 and rifleman, they have a piece of that market. For those who wish to spend a bunch more, Leupold is smiling and holding out their hand. Spend away.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Those of you who have read my previous posts on Leupolds know that I love them. I currently own 7 VX-II's, and several M-8's. I bought a Rifleman last summer to do load workup on a new 7mm-08, and have had nothing but good results with it. True, I've not used it for hunting in poor light conditions YET, but don't have any qualms about giving it a try. I buy used Leupolds when I can, provided they don't look like they've had the crap beat out of them, and have yet to get a bad one. You just can't beat their warranty/repair policy.
As far as trying others, I do own Redfields, Weavers, an old Lyman or two, and a couple of Unertls. The leupolds outshine most of them by a wide margin.
Just as some people are Ford or Chevy or Chrysler folks, I'm still lovin' my Leupy's.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

ORIGINAL: James B

I have not even seen these.
Made for low mounting!

What a goofy contraption!! Unless you live in a country like Germany where night shooting is legal, no-one needs such a huge objective lens!
Old 05-07-2006, 01:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

I love the amount of light that I get in with the lences of the Leupold VXII.In my (((opinion))) it is better than the Ziess conquest
Everyone is of course entitled to their opinion,but if you check on the vast majority of shooting forums,an overwhelmingmajority of people disagree with you.So just how many conquests and vxIIs or vxIIIshave you compared side by side at first and last light under actual hunting conditions?I actually own both and have compared several more in varying magnifications and lens sizes.

Quick Reply: What is Leupold thinking?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.