Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Elk Rifle & Recoil

Old 04-13-2006, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Elk Rifle & Recoil

Just a guess here.......ok?

about 75% of those shooting a 30-06 can shoot it well.....
about 60% of those shooting a 300 magnum can shoot it well
about 40% of those that shoot a 338 Win mag can shoot it well
about 25% of those that shoot a .338 RUM can shoot it well
about 10% of those that can't shoot their rifle well will admit it.

If you can move to the 10% group you have it made!!!!!
Old 04-13-2006, 08:14 PM

The rifle I am seriously considering is the Rem 700XCR. There straight stock fits me very well and I like what i've read about this rifle. It's offered in both 338 WM and RUM, a tough decision indeed. I don't think I will spend the extra for a MkV Weatherby right now. I love my Vanguard MOA but I'm not convinced that the MkV is worth the extra bucks especially when there are other rifles and cartridges that meet or exceed it's performance for less. What do you think about getting the RUM and starting out with reduced loads and working up? Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the 338 WM but the ballistics of the RUM, especially with 250 grainers is hard to ignore and probably worth the extra effort in learning to shoot well IMHO.Thanks again for all the advice!
Old 04-13-2006, 09:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

After spending at least 50 days per year at the range,I would estimate your figures to be very optimistic.

Old 04-13-2006, 09:09 PM

Just a guess here.......ok?

Sure, it is the Internet, wild arse guessing is always welcome.

So I guess based on that, our soldiersin Viet Nam(.223)were absolutely by far and away capable of shooting circles around the boys that won WWII (30-06)? [A portionof whom were 16-17.]

One thing about soldiers though, at least they have some training.... more than you can say for the majority of hunters --- school of hard knocks not withstanding.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:19 AM

I use a .300 win mag, and so did most of the guides in the elk camp. The other guides all used 7mm mag (except 1 who used a 280 rem with 140 grain corelokt).
I don't know how your finances are but weatherby calibers seem to be twice as much or more than standard calibers. Not a prob if you reload, but I think a box of factory 340 W-Mag would be 60-80 bucks. I think the rem ultra short mags are pretty pricey too. The old standby 338 win is reasonable and effective, and I hate shooting it. I have arthritis in my shoulders and I am only 43!!! Actually if I were firing at game, I wouldn't notice but there is the bi yearly sight in and practice.
I just fail to see how a .300 win mag with 180 grain nosler portitions can be beat. I have a friend who swears by the new 325 wsn.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:45 AM

"Elk Cartridge Preference Poll" over at Big Game Hunting Forum of this site.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:03 AM

What about a 30 378 WBY Accumark. Comes with brake standard. Shoots much easier than the WBY 340. Very accurate, and as far as being loud, when your at the range you have hearing protection, and in the woods you don't notice a shot or two. I have never had a problem with it. I've shot elk with it from 30 yrds to 300 and never had to follow one. And really, again, for that much power recoil is minimal.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

when your at the range you have hearing protection, and in the woods you don't notice a shot or two.
Actually a single shot with a braked riflewithout hearing protection can cause permanent hearing loss that is significant enough to be measured.A member of our club fired a single shot with a braked300winmag and his ears rang for several hours.His next scheduled hearing test showed a measureable hearing loss that is still present.Before that incident,he had suffered no measurable hearing loss in over 20 years of testing.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah Stubble thats the scary part....a "shot or two" os all it takes...people dont reallize this though.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:49 PM

There must be some data out their about noise levels w/wo brake. You can remove the brake for hunting situations also. I have never experienced ringing ears post shooting my gun wo protection.

Quick Reply: Elk Rifle & Recoil

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.