Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

m40A1

Old 04-11-2006, 03:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default m40A1

ok emailed the teacher of the military class and told him 3 or 4 shotguns pop up but no info.....and i could also do the m1911 .45 or the m40A1 sniper rifle....he told me to do the m40a1....anyone know where i can find info on that? found some last nite...but going to need more......thanx alot guys....im trying to impress these instructors and shut their pie holes lol......
Old 04-11-2006, 03:28 PM

Default RE: m40A1

It is basically a customized Remington 700 chambered in 308, usually with a Mcmillin stock if I remember right. Here is a link to a little more info.

http://www.snipercentral.com/m40a1.htm

If I find anything else useful, I'll post it.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx alot....thats what im finding.......id kinda like some military info.....what ammunition is used....what the typical amount of ammo given to the snipers and things like that......oh ya.......the max effective range...im searching....and going to start throwing this together...hoping i dont go tomarrow lol.......everything says the Marines use the M40......if hes setting me up to fail me and say that he said "ARMY" topic i have his email saying that i should do the m40.....
Old 04-11-2006, 06:18 PM

Here is some links
http://www.hqmc.usmc.mil/factfile.nsf/0/03ae5c82962bc0f48525627b006d3126?OpenDocument

http://www.marinescoutsniper.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SniperOn this last link look at the sub categories in blue on down the page. I hope this helps.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx guys....got it done......good enough for me......only has to be 3-5mins...so i have 6 slides.....4 with info on them.....and i can ramble on about the stuff forever....like defining MOA.....saying the 7.62x.51mm nato is a 308 winchester ect.....thanx for the help.....
Old 04-12-2006, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

The M40A1 is to a remington 700 what a NASCAR stock car is to something that you can buy at your local Ford dealership.

The M40s are hand built by armorers at Quantico, they are not mass produced.

Another interesting unique aspect of the m40s is the special barrel they have.... they don't have traditional rifling, but use what is called '5R' rifling where the edge between the land and groove are radiused to reduce fouling and increase accuracy. Do a search on Mike Rock and Obermeyer to learn more.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

thanx briman...didnt come across any of that...i did find out the fact that they COULD NOT handload their own ammo because of nato rules? that rifle sounds NICE...well......they are switching to an A3 i didnt get to read much about....but its supposed to shoot BETTER...i dont see what in the world makes them so expensive....over 2 grand a piece i found.....model 700 action..mcmillian stock....hart competition grade barrel embeded in expoxy or something i think i read?? maybe like glass bedding or something?...modified model 70 floorplate and trigger gaurd....the unertlscope probably costs a prettttttty penny id imagine though....not sure but im guessing well over 500$ closer to 1000$ guess it makes sense.....id love to shoot one.......i should have followed my dream...wierd dream but i ALWAYS wanted to be a Marine Sniper...or what im doing now.....so im still happy....maybe theres Park Ranger snipers! lol........if school somehow would ever fall through id be finding a Marine recruiter......