Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

No more Hevi-Shot!

Old 04-10-2006, 03:59 PM

Default No more Hevi-Shot!

Remington is replacing it with that "Wingmaster HD", and claims it will pattern better and penetrate more. Too bad it's only available inone 20 guage load, and a light one at that. I want turkey loads, if this stuff is heavier than lead why not a 1 1/2 ounce or even 1 3/4 ounce load? I thought hevi-shot was fine, I don't see why they didn't leave well enough alone. On top of it all it's gonna be more expensive. Oh well, I'll just grab a couple of boxes of hevi-shot sometime soI don't run out.

Old 04-11-2006, 09:48 PM

Default RE: No more Hevi-Shot!

tyk Remington doesn't own the patent too Hevi-Shot. HS is owned by Environmetal. The original agreement was a 5 year exclusive which expired lastyear. Environmetal makes Hevi-13, Hevi-Steel and Dead Coyote etc... Since it is a patented mixture of metal (nickel, tungsten, iron and a few other "ingredients") it can't be duplicated without their consent. That is why everyone else is coming out with their "version" like Winchester with their Extended, Federal with their Heavyweight and now Rem with their "Wingmaster HD". Nitro Ammo company (Nitro Ray) used to have to get his Hevi-Shot from Remington, now it has to get it straight from the sourch which is Environmetal and since they now have the rights back too it (Remingtons exclusive included Environmetal as well) they can charge whatever they want. Nitro took a big price increase this year and I hear another 20% is possible next year.

If you like the Remington Hevi-Shot loads you better buy all of it you can find, because only what is "in the pipeline" the only stuff left. There will be no more built or shipped anymore!
RA
Old 04-12-2006, 02:50 PM

Hevi-13 is what I was thinking of now...but it's even more expensive than the old hevi-shot. I'll have to mow some lawns fast, before every other shooter buys it all.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:03 PM
Fork Horn

I got 4 boxes of Remington Hevi-Shot #6 Turkey loads which I bought and had given to me as a gift that have proven to be devastating on turkeys. At one shot per turkey and 2 turkeys per season, I should still be in good shape for several years to come!