Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

My first turkey!

Old 04-09-2006, 12:01 PM

Default My first turkey!

I got my first turkey today, it was a Jake. After 2 years of nothing, I almost got one during youth season yesterday. I had a gobbler at about 75 yards strutting in, then someone poaching on my uncle's land (what I was hunting on) fired not too far away. All the turkeys flew, including the one I almost had.[:@] Today though, my grandpa and I were sitting for a while and decided to go in the woods a ways. Not 50 yards in, we heard gobbles, real close. After callin for about 30 minutes the gobbler and some hens came in, but I couldn't see them, only my grandpa could. The Jake was chasing the hens, but the big Tom scared him off. He came cluckin to me about 30 or 40 yards away and when his head went up I shot. Flipped him over with my Hevi-Shot #6, when I counted how many hits I had, the pattern amazed me...25 hits in the head and neck, none in the body at the 35ish range! Considering how nervous I was I thought that was pretty good. Heck, writing it down now is giving me the jitters again. Enough of me rambling on I guess, but since you guys have helped me so much with my questions in the past I thought this would be some of the first people I told. No pictures now, in this part of Missouri digital cameras are scarce. If I can get a picture of my big ol' Jakes thick, 6 inch long beard I'll post it.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My first turkey!

Atta BOY!

Turkeys are just starting to come back to my area, hopefully in a few years I can hunt them on my own property
Old 04-09-2006, 12:14 PM
Dominant Buck

Congrats to you my friend.Still waiting on my first.
C7
Old 04-10-2006, 09:26 PM

great job im still waiting too. i go thursday-monday so i hope i can get one. i shot one last year but must have got him in the chest. he rolled down a small slope so i hit him again in air and he still wouldnt come down. hope for better luck this year