Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

semi auto shotgun questions (A5)

Old 04-13-2006, 06:00 AM

Default RE: semi auto shotgun questions (A5)

I have two Belgium A5's-both 12 ga.,the Light 12,and the 3in mag. with a32in. barrel.Both guns were purchased new in 1947 by a close family friend,from whom,I bought them.They areclassics in design,shoot and swing with ease.I used both for a number of years,both hunting and clays.But now,they are semi-retired,only making appearances at the trap range once in a while.
While my Beretta 391's are now carrying the "load",my family knows that if the house catches fire,grab the wife,kids,dog,and the Brownings and get out!.....Bob
Old 04-13-2006, 10:12 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-13-2006, 03:25 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: trestand
my family knows that if the house catches fire,grab the wife,kids,dog,and the Brownings and get out!.....Bob
That's funny, Same thing in my family too. My wife laugh at first when I told her about grabing my guns but she soon realize, that I was not joking.

Thisis my Deer Slayer A-5
Old 04-13-2006, 03:28 PM

Well I picked it up today along with some shells. Don't have a chance to shoot it though. Got home and found out my brother is in the hospital, so I am going to drive down and see how he is doing.

According to brownings web site it was made in 92 but my serial number doesn't quite jive with what they list. Maybe because it's the stalker model. Looks like it has barely been used. Still has the box and 3 chokes.

I will take some pics when I get a chance tonight or tomorrow. Not as pretty as the one above but a nice looking gun all the same.

Paul
Old 04-13-2006, 06:42 PM

Well, another huge A-5 fan here and that pic of the plastic stocked A-5 on the first page is just like my main hunting gun, I also have a hastings slug bbl for it. The plastic stocks are ugly but they never crack a forend either, and the gun still goes "klang" what you close the action. Mine has been utterly reliable with very little maintenance.

Anyone have a 20ga A-5? What a nice handling little gun they are...

Doug
Old 04-14-2006, 04:04 PM

Well here is my baby. I shot it a few times today with some high brass loads and it worked fine.

Side View

Reciever

Those are my finger prints, not stains. I need to wipe it down with some oil. You can only see them in the pictures for some reason?

Here is pic of the bottom of the reciever and serial numbers. This thing almost in new condition. I don't think the previous owner used it very much.

Action

It came with a box and three choke tubes.

It still kicks, but not as bad as my pump with the same loads. The speed load feature and recoiling barrel is pretty cool though.

And just for the heck of it here is a pic of my new Pardner Pump gun

NEF

Pretty nice wood for under 200 bucks I thought.

Paul

Old 04-14-2006, 04:59 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-15-2006, 06:29 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

Well here is my baby. I shot it a few times today with some high brass loads and it worked fine.

Side View

Reciever

Those are my finger prints, not stains. I need to wipe it down with some oil. You can only see them in the pictures for some reason?

Here is pic of the bottom of the reciever and serial numbers. This thing almost in new condition. I don't think the previous owner used it very much.

Action

It came with a box and three choke tubes.

It still kicks, but not as bad as my pump with the same loads. The speed load feature and recoiling barrel is pretty cool though.

And just for the heck of it here is a pic of my new Pardner Pump gun

NEF

Pretty nice wood for under 200 bucks I thought.

Paul
Man, that would make a nice turkey gun. Paul, do you know what year it is? Do you think its the original barrel? If you don't like it, I can take it off your hands.

Old 04-15-2006, 07:51 PM

Funny you should mention that, I am seriously considering using it for turkey starting this monday. I have a thread in the turkey section asking if there is a big difference between 3 inch turkey loads and 2 3/4 inch pheasant loads. I can only shoot 2 3/4 inchers out of this gun. I don't see where there is a big difference between 1 7/8 oz of #4 at 1200 fps and 1 3/8 oz of #5 moving at 1350 fps. There is about the same amount of pellets, just not as big or as heavy, but it's faster.

Here it is set up as a turkey gun. Undertaker .665 choke tube, a leather sling and adjustable fiber optic sights.

I discovered this gun takes the same choke tubes as a mossberg or my NEF pump gun. What a bonus, too bad I didn't keep all the chokes I had when I traded in my Mossy 500.

As far as I know it's the original barrel. It says 22 inches, But I measured it and it's actually 21 inches from the front of the reciever. I found a great forum for A5's and the resident A5 guru there said they are notorious for being a bit short of what they list them at. Something about they are actually metric barrels.

If Browning web site is correct it is a 1992 model. Looks like it wasn't used very much either. Even came with the original box and choke tubes. A guy on that other site said he has seen them go for $700 or more on gunbroker.com or something like that. So I guess I did pretty well on it. I wonder what they were new? This is the only stalker version I have every seen. Usually you see them with wood trim and 30 inch barrels.

I still need to pattern it and adjust the sights if they need it. I might do that monday after work. Then I will go hunting with it if I can get a tag. They are selling left over ones from what I understand. That would give me from the 17-30 of april to hunt. Not a lot of turkeys where I hunt though, so we will see what happens.

I don't think I will be selling it, I could give you a deal on a nice NEF pump that has only been fired twice though.

Paul
Old 04-16-2006, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Paul,
I just saw your post today. I to am a hugh A-5 fan. You definetly made the right choice and in 20-25 years you will see what I mean.The old saying that aBrowning is built to last a life time is BULL!!!!!!!. I will tell you why. I still have my granddads made around the turn of the century and my dads which was made in the 1930s and mine (made in Japan by the way) made in 1986 the first 2 out lived there owners and I'm sure mine will see many a day in the field long after I'm gone. I still use the old ones every year. I also have to say my grandpa and dad were very poor in the old days money wasn't somthing you wasted so they could only have one gun and it had better last, so the A-5 humpback is what they got. I have shot deer with all 3 guns and the feeling I get while carring the old guns just knowing there history is unbelivable. As far as parts and service all I can say is as populor as these guns were they will be parts around for ever. I know you know what I mean when I say you can feel the quility in the gun just holding it and sholdering it. And why do you think so many companys coppied it. I have many shot guns but the Browning A-5s are my work horses and some day will be my kids work horses too. Good luck Mike

Quick Reply: semi auto shotgun questions (A5)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.