Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

[Deleted]

Old 04-08-2006, 01:21 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-08-2006, 06:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Parkerized Finish/Rust

Not sure where the note you are refering to comes from but aside from coating the gun in something like teflon or ceramic, parkerizing is about the most rust resistant finish available.

Parkerizing is actually a mollecular etching process and is far more durable than any kind of blueing. It is highly rust resistant and incredibly durable, able to resist much more abuse than a typical blueing finish. You shouldn't have to do anything to it to keep it rust free.

I parkerized my 300WSM I built two years ago and I have never needed to apply any kind of oil to any part that has been parkerized. Not a spec of rust.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:11 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-08-2006, 10:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's just a bead blasted and blued finish. Same as any other blued finish.

Any gun that is blued needs to be disassembled and cleaned and a light coat of oil applied to all metal surfaces to prevent rust. If you let the water stay on the gun it will rust over night and sometimes faster.

FYI.... Blueing is meerly a controled rusting process.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

i agree with bigbulls....though the 870 almost kinda sorta looks parkerized its not....in wet weather i break down the gun and dry it with a towel or something.....let it get to room temp....whip it down again with a dry towel......then go over it with an oil rag and clean the gun....i didnt know parkerizing was THAT good of a finish....i know alot of military firearms are parkerized...
Old 04-09-2006, 09:53 AM

I don't know what the finish is called but I sure know what you're talking about with the 870. My oldest son has had one for a few years and that gun is rusting like no other. He also has one of the cheap Savage package guns that he treats no differently. What ever the finish on the Savage is, he seems to be having no trouble with it. I just bought an 870 Express for my youngest son to use. (It hasn't had one shot fired through it yet...damned shame!) Anyhow, I was planning to apply a very liberal coating of oil and pray it doesn't rust away!
Old 04-10-2006, 11:03 AM

In order of durability here are your choices:
Nickel Plating
Ceramic Plating
Teflon Coating
Paint
Parkerizing
Bluing
Old 04-10-2006, 11:41 AM
bigcountry

Only remingtons that are parkerized are the Law enforcement models. I was in the rain for 6 days in newfoundland and my parkerized rifle never had the first hint of rust.

but yep the regular blueing on a 870 does rust easily. Its just bluing and has its limitations. I hunt salt water alot and my 870 takes a beating with rust.

I never forget rem oil to spray down anymore after getting off the boat.

Old 04-10-2006, 01:52 PM

It seems like the rougher blued finishes arebad when it comes to rusting. The new Remington gunsappear to be sand blasted and are the worst I have ever seen for rusting in wet weather. I guess the moisture gets into and stays in the pores of the surface easier . . . .