Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Why couldn't Winchester survive?

Old 04-09-2006, 09:11 AM

Default RE: Why couldn't Winchester survive?

Yes, it seems they will no longer build guns. Its really kind of sad. Winchester is such an old name in arms. They werekind of an icon in the gun industry.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:36 AM

ORIGINAL: RWK

More than likely bad management they seem to screw up more business than anything. Rich
Big companies can be like that. They get to be so preoccupied with catering to share holders (another class of customers) they lose touch of their grass roots customers. Of course they are the ones that drive revenues. Then they get nervous about creating expenses that result from the cost of innovation that is necessary to stay current.Instead they cut costs until there is nothing left to cut. Winchester seems to manage their ammo division well enough, but haven't been very exciting in their gun division. Savage on the other hand, has shown the world that you can be innovative and still cater to your market niche. They have practically reinvented themselves with the accutrigger. I can't say I know what their stock is like, but I'm pretty sure it has more potential than some of the other gun manufacturers.

Just my morning rant! I'm off the soapbox now!
Old 04-09-2006, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Winchester hasn't existed for decades....only the name lived on...

The company was bought by Olin who leased it to USRAC who run the plant until recently.

We have lots of speculation as to what is happening but it looks to me like there's union busting happening here. Expensive equipment was removed from the Connecticut plant some time ago.....why???...I think it's going to be used elsewhere of course.

Winchester will be back.....who the licensee is remains to be seen.....will it be marked "made in the USA"?...who knows but the M-70 will be offered again with the name Winchester on it and it's just a matter of price and where it's made.

The Winchester story is the story of the United States.....the jobs are going overseas and the executives are still collecting their share....

The picture is far larger than Winchester.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:49 PM

I believe its the belgians not caring if americans lose their jobs. If the unions are keeping companys from being profitable and the company has to move overseas are the unions actually helping the american worker? I hope Olin will lease the trademark to an American company that will build Winchester firearms here and employ American workers.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Winchester story is the story of the United States.....the jobs are going overseas and the executives are still collecting their share....
....And Americans whining about capitalism which has given them the high standard of living that they enjoy.
I hope Olin will lease the trademark to an American company that will build Winchester firearms here and employ American workers.
What's the point? Marlin makes a better levergun, Ruger and CZ make rifles that are practically identical to the model 70, and like others said, Winchester shotguns are nothing to write home about. Only a complete fool would want to purchase those trademarks and build those firearms.