Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7 x 65R Rifle

Old 04-08-2006, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 7 x 65R Rifle

I have a 7 x 65R rifle/shoutgun combo. Before I left for Iraq I developed a hand load and got it sighted in. In case some folks don't know European caliber designation: 7 is 7mm bullet, 65 means case length in millimeters and the R designates Rimmed. Anyway, and for those that may hunt the Northern New York area, would that be suitable for deer? Year before last, I attempted to shoot one with a .300 Win Mag (normally wouldnt but the only one that I could get sighted--now have a .30-06 for it) and I discovered that the bullett was moving too fast and deflected evidently off a small branch, unseen.

So, now that it is sighted in, wondering if it would be okay? Otherwise, I will go ahead and spend the $400.00 for a new bolt on the Sig Sauer and put the .30-06 barrel on it?

Thanks[8D]
Old 04-08-2006, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 7 x 65R Rifle

I am familiar with the Norma product for that caliber. Should kill deer real dead anywhere, and not just in New York. I kind of like bottlenecks. Wish we loaded more in the US.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:14 AM
Fork Horn

Hi JL:

The cousin of your 7x65R (7x64, identical ballistics) has become my "goto" deer rifle. From the factory, loads duplicate the .280 Rem, but with handloads youget into 7mm Rem territory. I found a great deal on a Sako AV 7x64, and like it so much I snapped up a Fiberclass as well.

I have been loading the 156gr Oryx with great results. My understanding from the European hunting sites is that the 7x64/65R is as popular there as the .30-06 is here. Many of those countries do not allow civilians to own military designated catridges like the 5.56, .308 or .30-06.

I'd say you have got a great gun there!

CE
Old 04-08-2006, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure how popular the 7 x 65R and the 64 are. Most of the Germans I hunted with used, 7.62 x 63 if I am correct, better known as .30-06. And they are allowed to buy the .308 or were, as the gentleman I hunted for used the .308. Works on pigs and Red Deer. Not used too much for the Roe Deer, too fast and leaves big exit holes and since they sell the meat not good. My partner, German, used a .30-06 as I did, and with a perfect shot on 'blat' heart shot, no damage to the real meat as they don't value the ribs as much. Now some used the .222 or even .223 for Reh deer. I know some that used 8 or 9 mm because it stopped a wild boar, but when you hit a deer, it didn't have time to really expand and left little exit holes. I would say that the 8mm is probably one of the most popular I saw followd by the old standard 06.

As for the load, I was using factory at like 173grain and was getting poor groups, I mean, one close to aim, one completely off target and one three foot low..... three shot group. Almost threw it in the woods. Then I thought, either gun or scope,ssssssssssssooooooooooooo, I grabe the Simmons off my ML and few small adjustments and I was dead on. Stopped by the gunsmith's place, still wasn't satisfied with groups. He suggest 140s or 150s as he said most of them group well in the 7mm cal. So I took both, reloaded 140, 150, and 180. Shot five shot groups, the 150s appeared to be the best group with the 140s behind and the 180s not bad. Seems a good scope, a good reload, and some patient shooting. It is a single barrel, so for sighting I eventually decided to wait like 10 minutes between shots to allow barrel to cool. It was the hottest summer ever saw in Northern NY. Anyway, with a deer target at 100 yards, and rest, and 10 minutes in between, 4 shots were in a quarter sixed group and perfect double lungs.... well on paper, and the one I did shoot bad, the shooter was the blame, was about an inch low and in the heart.

So needless to say, then if everyone else recommends, I will leave here, grab it out of storage, take it to the range, verify everything and on opening of gun season, the 7 x 65R and I will be in the woods! [8D][8D][8D]
Old 04-09-2006, 08:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: JLmoore1956

Anyway, and for those that may hunt the Northern New York area, would that be suitable for deer? Year before last, I attempted to shoot one with a .300 Win Mag (normally wouldnt but the only one that I could get sighted--now have a .30-06 for it) and I discovered that the bullett was moving too fast and deflected evidently off a small branch, unseen.

Thanks[8D]
The 7X64-65R and .280 Remington rounds (all pretty much the same), are eminently suitable for deer hunting, and with the right bullets, almost everything else in North America with the possible exception of brown and polar bears that weigh over 800 pounds or so!

Please be advised that all HP rifle bullets are easily deflected by the kind of sticks, brush, and crap that grows in eastern forests. Switching from a .300 MAG. to a .30/'06, (or any other similar round), will not cure such a problem! Use a scope, and put your bullets through clear spaces in the brush! Avoid small trees & limbs, etc.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:32 PM
DM

I have a 7x65R double rifle, and i like the round very much. Normally it isn't loaded to quite as high of pressures as a 280 Rem. ect..., but it's more than enough for deer sized animials.

Keep in mind there's NO SUCH THING as a "brush caliber/bullet/cartridge" for hunting, it's a myth that some seem to keep spreading. All bullets deflect when they hit brush and NONE can be relied on...

Drilling Man
Old 04-09-2006, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DM

I have a 7x65R double rifle, and i like the round very much. Normally it isn't loaded to quite as high of pressures as a 280 Rem. ect..., but it's more than enough for deer sized animials.

Keep in mind there's NO SUCH THING as a "brush caliber/bullet/cartridge" for hunting, it's a myth that some seem to keep spreading. All bullets deflect when they hit brush and NONE can be relied on...

Drilling Man
Thanks, I like the round now that I reloaded and got it on target, if I can get some pics of the group I will post it. Of course that is if I can here.

Guess I should have figured it out about 'brush' guns myself.........hopefully I can get my first rifle whitetail this fall! [8D]