Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Feelin' Frisky!

Old 04-02-2006, 03:37 PM

Default RE: Feelin' Frisky!

While I agree that most of these guys just want to brag about how much they paid for their scopes, I do see the advantage of a higher quality scope. Having lived throughsome bad times with old Weavers and Redfieldsin the 70's, there is nothing more annoying then pulling up on a deer and not being able to see it in the scope because it’s fogged up. Some of the swamps and hardwoods I hunt arefilled with shadows an hour before the end of shooting light and I am grateful for my Nikon's light gathering. I use mostly Nikon now because Ihave foundthat, for the money,they werecompatible with the Leupolds that I have owned and it's the best scope I can afford. However,if I came into a lot of money from some long lost rich uncle, I would have a Ziess or Swarovski.

To me it’s simple. Buy as much scope as you can afford, but do it to improve your hunting, not to show up your buddies.

Old 04-02-2006, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to really be cheap when it came to optics, and I paid for it a few times. Had a few scopes that wouldn't hold zero, would fog up if I looked at them funny (rain/snow/fog = no shot 90% of the time). I now won't spend any less than $200 on a scope and usually spend up to $400 on them. I don't need to worry about them bouncing around in my trucks, 4 wheelers, they will always hold their zero, and will not fog in the worst conditions with me breathing on them.

To each their own, but when the chance of a lifetime presents itself, I don't want it to be blown because I didn't spend the money on quality optics. Just my .02 cents.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

If I had a lot of money, I would have a Shepard. My hunting buddy has one on his 280. Until then, the 3200, Nikon Prostaff, VX-l and Aetecs will continue to serve my needs well. I have had good service from the Scheels scopes and Swift premiers as well. All around 200.00.

Rammer. I did end up buying a good knife at that gun show.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:38 PM

Here's another perspective on light gathering. How about a fixed power scope? My next scope may well be a fixed 4X Mid priced scope. I purchased a Weaver K2.5X for a BLR81 that I wanted to use for shorter range "bush" applications. The image is crystal clear and very bright. The eye relief is very good as well. When purchasing, I compared the images with a few high priced variable scopes and this little Weaver was kicking butt. Of course the 2.5 power is very limiting. Its got me thinking that a fixed 4X might be just the ticket though. I'm not talking varmint but for deer it just may do the job very well. The variables I have are almost all set in the 4 - 5X area. They better...ever lost a deer because your scope is set too high??
Old 04-02-2006, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

James - what kinda knife ya end up with? I went to Boones after the gunshow an bought myself a hundred rounds of 22mag ammo. Workin on ordering up a new 223 at the moment from my buddy that has his FFL.

Fixed power scopes are great if you don't need the added magnification. For general hunting purposes I always leave my scopes set on 6x. I have a 4x on my 22mag and my 300 Sav, and they are both going to get upgraded to 3-9s, we don't have brush here so fixed powers hurt more than anything.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: White-tail-deer

I would agree, hearing the beating of the drum over and over and over!! LOL!! I like to hear others opinions and experiences, pros & cons, etc. It helps me make a more informed decision.
Well as I said, if someone was to give me a Doctor, or Zwaroski, or Leupold, etc, I would use it, but for an old soldier Simmons scopes will always be on my rifles because of the quality and the ability to stand up to my .300 Win Mag and still be at zero on the range the following season! [8D]
Old 04-02-2006, 07:34 PM

I tend to agree with the cheep crowd, as I can't justify spending a large ammount of money on a rifle scope. I've noticed the rubber armored scopes tend to move in the rings and therefore will not hold zero. I think the simmons 8 point scopes are a little to cheep and don't holdup well either. I tend to agree with the weaver fixed power scopes, they are very clear and rugged. Would likely be a good choice for the hard kickers. But here in the east where our shots at game are usually under 300 yards, or more likely under 150 yds a fixed scope is all we really need. Their's a real need for variables when shooting paper or varmints. Any scope reguardless of price should show more definition than the human eye in low light situations, and the human eye is what most game departments are considering when talking about legal shooting light. Their are many deer killed in my neck of the woods when it could be called night hunting!
Old 04-02-2006, 07:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Any scope reguardless of price should show more definition than the human eye in low light situations, and the human eye is what most game departments are considering when talking about legal shooting light. Their are many deer killed in my neck of the woods when it could be called night hunting!
That may be so,but the conservation officers go by the time on the clock,not whether you can see game with the naked eye.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

Any scope reguardless of price should show more definition than the human eye in low light situations, and the human eye is what most game departments are considering when talking about legal shooting light. Their are many deer killed in my neck of the woods when it could be called night hunting!
That may be so,but the conservation officers go by the time on the clock,not whether you can see game with the naked eye.
Glad you brought this up. In germany, you could hunt all night for pigs and fox, so light gathering is good. But, I watch the clock, meaning I check the daily sunrise and sunset and go by that for hunting. Some dont, heard em shooting like 15 minutes before, but hey that is them...... but never did not see, so guess my Simmons serve me well
Old 04-02-2006, 08:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Rammer. I picked up a Marttiini hunting knife. They have pretty darn good steel in them. There was a fello right up by the front door that had a bunch of knives. Its probably good that I got there late and didn't have much shopping time..

I like the Fixed power scopes too. I have a Simmons Pro-Hunter 6X that really gathers light well. There is a park accross the street where the deer come out. I can seem them very well through that scope untill well after shooting times are over. Its held up well on a 30-06 Remington Pump. I think its a 6x44.

Quick Reply: Feelin' Frisky!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.