Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Feelin' Frisky!

Old 04-02-2006, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Feelin' Frisky!

I am sure that as the price range gets too low, you will get to a range where quality suffers, and the chance of you getting a "lemon" will be greater! I want a scope that holds zero, doesn't fog, and gathers enough light to make legal hunting shots! You don't have to float a loan to get those qualities!
I suspect that some of these hunters that are using their scopes to judge LEGAL shooting times, should invest in a wrist watch! Even most cheaper scopes gather enough light to get you in trouble with the Game Warden, if theres one nearby!
Old 04-02-2006, 09:31 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-02-2006, 09:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree 100 percent with Jag. 200.00 is about my limit for opptics. These scopes will make any legal shots a guy would need to take. They work great for me. Never seen one fail, never had anything even close to lack of light gathering ability. Of course these 200.00 scopes used to be 75.00.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have passed up two shots in over 30 years because I could not place the crosshairs to my satisfaction on the animal.Although it was still legal time,it was cloudy and the deer were up against the bush with no snow or sky for contrast.I simply could not determine the deers body position well enough to be sure of a clean kill so I passed.The scopes being used were leupold vari x III's.The extra brightness provided by my current swarovski scopes may very well have made those shots feasible.The way that I look at it is,if having a brighter scope allows me to take one or two more animals in my career,the investment has been worthwhile.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

How about fogging in rain or snow?
Resale value and warranty are other considerations, Scopes I thought I paid too much for 15 years ago are now worth more than the purchase price.
Another consideration, eye relief usually is better on more expensive scopes, This is real easy to see with pistol scopes
Many times I have chased the zero setting on cheeper scopes as they bounce on my rear seat in my pickup
I have several Tasco and Simmons scopes but they are getting replaced as I find gunshow bargains.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:30 AM
Fork Horn

I have used Redfield, Burris and Leupold scopes and some Bushnells. I have a Simmons Atec on one rifle that works very well, at the time it was closer to $200.00. I tend to stay away from Tasco and low end Bushnell scopes because of their inability to not fog up or gather light real well. When I was younger and couldn't raising three kids and all I tended to buy cheaper scopes, but even today I have a hard time paying over $275.00 for a scope and would much rather stay under the $200.00 range. I guess Ifwere going on a hunt that I have invested alot of time and money then I would opt for an expensive scope.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:37 AM
bigcountry

I would have disagreed but recently been buying 3200's like they are going out of style.

The usual cycle for most people I see is start out low, then have a failure of some type. Then go real real expensive. Then figure meet in the middle. For some folks like stubble probably, need accurate MOA adjustments for long range. Most scopes can't do this well. Sure they can hold zero, they have enough range to get to zero, but the extra step is accurate graduations. In other words, you need to raise 6.7MOA to hit zero at 600 yards day in and day out.

I have almost found a middle ground. For target guns and long range, I buy conquests, VXIII, Vari-X III's, and starting to trust my new 4200, but not sure its a target scope. But guns I know are not going to change zero, 3200's it is, maybe VXII's, still got several Vari-X II's.

I know its not required for big game, but I like clear precise optics. Once you use good stuff, its hard to go back. I know some of the 8 points and aztecs will hold zero, but I just don't think the optics can compare.

Old 04-02-2006, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

At this time I can’t say that high end scopes are worth the extra bucks but I have number of scopes ranging from mid range to high end, well high end enough for me. In the very near future as soon as I move and make my own range I will be testing all my scopes for comparison in light gathering and how they react to different weather conditions. Only then will I know for sure...
Old 04-02-2006, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is this one of those April Fool threads? If so, you got me!!!
Old 04-02-2006, 02:53 PM

Cheaper scopes tend not to last, gather as much light, or hold their zero like expensive scopes. If you only shoot 100 yards then who cares, butcheap scopes become a weak link if you use thembeyondtheir limits. It might be one thing to slap a $200 simmons or bushnell on a 243 but if your up in the 300s or bigger I just see that thing getting rattled easily.

Quick Reply: Feelin' Frisky!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.