Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

semi vs. bolt action

Old 03-31-2006, 04:41 AM

Default semi vs. bolt action

In a 17 HMR is there going to be that much of an accuracy difference between a semi and bolt action? There are a couple bolt actions that i really like and a semi that i really like to. the bolt actions are the marlin, the savage(w/ thumbhole stock) and the semi is the remington 597.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: semi vs. bolt action

My advice is to shoot a 597 before buying one.
The one I shot had a terrible trigger. Ofcourse theis is the only 597 I have pulled the trigger on
Old 03-31-2006, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Usually the bolt action will be more accurate. Honestly though it could be a toss up especially in the rimfire world. There are some guys with Ruger 10-22s(and 10/17s)that shoot awesome.(Im sure other semi's also). I would go shoulder the rifles you are looking at dry fire them a couple times to see how much trigger you are dealing with and then going from there. Seems like in the rimfire auto's that individual rifles are more accurate then others of the same make more ofter then in larger centerfire guns. That may just because almost everyone has the rimfire stuff so its east to compare also.

To answer you question the bolt will prob be a little more accurate but theres a chance that 597 will outshoot both of the bolt your looking at also.
Old 03-31-2006, 06:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

First thing first. Forget about the 597. One of the worst designed rim fires Remington has made. Yes I speak from my own experience as well as other people that I know that have them.

I would definetly choose the Savage BTVS over the others. This gun should prove to be a highly accurate little 17.

Old 03-31-2006, 09:23 PM

my dad has a cheap savage 17 and boy can it shoot a group at 100 yards
Old 04-03-2006, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you want to try the trigger in the store, go armed with a handful of snap caps (if they make them in 17)so you don't dammage the firing pins.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:43 PM
DM

I see guys crying about there 597's, but all i can tell you is this. I bought a new 597M several years ago, and to this day it has NOT jammed or failed to function in any way!

Yeaaaa i know, every time i have good luck with a firearm around here, i'm always the "luckiest" guy here to own one...

I think the 597 magazine problems are pretty much taken care of on the "later guns"... I guess i'll wait around for someone to come along and say i'm full of it!!!

Drilling Man
Old 04-03-2006, 06:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

The Marlins are the guns to beat. Those little guns are second to none in the accuracy department. If the tax man sees fit to give me a return, I may be owning one.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:18 AM

After numerous complaints we have finally got the mag problems worked out on the 597's .we put out approx.500 to 600 of theses guns chambered for the 17 cal. a week and i must say that the 17 cal. is one the better shooting guns gpoup wise that we manufacture whether it be for target shooting or small game.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:20 AM

The savage and the marlins both shoot about the same for the money, very well! It realy just boils down to which looks better. The nodd goes to savage for me though because you can get it with the accutrigger now. I think in most cases it will function better and be more accurate than the remington. Just my opinion though.

I have a savage heavy barrel I paid 200 bucks for and love it.

Paul

Quick Reply: semi vs. bolt action

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.