Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

dangerous game rifle ?

Old 03-30-2006, 10:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default dangerous game rifle ?

I am toying with the idea of building a big bore rifle. Not because I am going to Africa any time soon but rather just because.

My question is what cartridge to choose. It would be larger than the 375H&H. I was thinking something along the lines of a 416 or 458. I am kind of liking the 458 Lott.

For those of you that do hunt Africa and do actually shoot honest big bore rifles on a "regular" basis what do you prefer?

It's either a big bore or a .223 target/ varmint gun. No I can't do both right any time soon.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: dangerous game rifle ?

No I can't do both right any time soon.
Sure you can, we all know you're loaded.[8D]

I'd go with the .223 varmint/target gun if you don't have anything like it and aren't going to Africa any time soon. You can still raise your hand after a day at the range.

Although on the flip side, a big bore would be fun to have just to let other people get ahold of it.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:57 AM

Given the restrictionsattached toyour question, I would suggest you post it on Accuratereloading.com under Big Bores. Be sure to mention what you already have so genuine advise can be given. I'd skip the mention of the .223 alternative though.

I would say that you have identified the "slots" so to speak. Either 416 or 458.
Note, I believe only the Rigbys and Dakotas lack the "belt" that you dislike so much.

For a died-in-the-wool .270 fan you are coming along nicely.

I'm sure you will find much support for the .223 project at this site.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have only used the 416 Remington of the ones you mentioned. I don't mind the belted case so it was an easy choice for me at the time. You can gain 150-200 fps with the Lott but IMO, both have plenty of what it takes. I had every confidence that it would handle any problems that came up.

Mine was the Ruger No. one but since I am a right hander trying to shoot left handed, I could reload and fire the No. l faster than I could work the bolts. I had a wrist band shell holder to keep four shells handy for fast loading. Good Luick with your project.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:33 AM

Once you get into that bore size it just really doesn't matter. Anything you hit with it will be dead. My personal favorite is the .450 Alaskan on a Browning '71 frame but if I was going to build it again I'd probably go up to the .50 Alaskan. If you're dead set on a bolt gun I like the .416's, especially the Rigby and Weatherby (just because I'm partial to Weatherby actions, not necessarily for the round itself).
Old 03-31-2006, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

for a newcomer to big bores I'd suggest the .375 H&H as it can have some practical use in North America.....However you want something bigger and then I suggest either the 416 Rem Mag or the 416 Rigby.

go to www.cz-usa.com and look at rifles and look over the cost of ammo carefully before you buy the gun.

The big bore crowd is pretty adamant about CRF and the CZ is all of that.

Either of the 416 rifles will handle anything on the planet as will the .375 H&H.

Old 03-31-2006, 06:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks guys.

EKM don't worry, I still love my .270. But the alure of the bigber guns and bigger kick is becoming a little bit addicting.

As far as belts go I don't mind them at all if they are needed. Such as on the 375 H&H, 458 Win or Lott. I would just rather do without the belt on bottle neck cases since it doesn't actually serve any porpose other than to take up magazine and powder space.

I have considered the 375 H&H but if I am going to build an honest to goodness big bore I'm gonna surpass the minimum legal medium bore and step right into the larger than 40 caliber cartridges.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I built my 404 jeffery on the MRC 1999 action....it'll work well for the 416 Rem Mag and 458 lott as well.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah, I like those Montana actions. Lots of good features in that action.

Old 03-31-2006, 08:44 PM

Get a good 45-70 and shoot some Garrett or Buffalo Bore Loads in it. Ive read articles where some of these loads will shoot clear through cape buffalo from one end to another. Read another where a cape buffalo was shot and cow behind her was killed too. I have watched the show Dangerous Game and have seen a cape buffalo take 4 to 5 shots from a .500 caliber double rifle before dying. I also saw one hit perfectly with a .460 weatherby magnum and not die on the first shot. The good ole 45-70 can in my opinion do what others can without the massive recoil. Go to Garretts web site and read some of the stories from people using the heavy 45-70 loads on big game. I cant afford a double rifle but there is one from baikal that Remington sells now that is a side by side in 45-70. Ive been toying with the idea of getting one. Now to come up with the moolah!!!!

Quick Reply: dangerous game rifle ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.