Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

dangerous game rifle ?

Old 04-04-2006, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: dangerous game rifle ?

For me if I ever venture into the big bore game it will be a 416 Rigby. Why is because it can be loaded with a 400 gr bullet to over 2600 FPS. Its on the heels of the 416 weatherby. So the rigby can be a great up close in your face charge stopping gun or a Long range plains game rifle too. I would easily put it ahead of the 375 H&H for the best all around one gun african trip experience. To me its a more versitle gun. But your milage my vary.

Brian
Old 04-04-2006, 11:47 AM

I definetly will. I have just been reading a bunch on the big bore forum and trying to take it all in and form a more a more solid foundation about this class of cartridges before I go to the "experts". Those guys are big gun fanatics.
Well, it is handy thatmany "over there" are so called big gun fanatics.... that knowledge can be useful; however, more central to answering your question as posed is that a bunch of them have been to Africa and done it, dangerous game and DGR bigbores, not justthe more common "on the ranch" plains game hunt in South Africa with sub-375 weaponry or (worse yet) attempts at extrapolating whitetail/elk/moose experience-rifles/cartridges into an answer, as is common here. This latter element of DG and DGR'sand experience inAfrica is theaspect of your original question that glaringly stands out as unanswered.

[Note: Also interesting that the discussion of your "DGR question"has dwelled so much on cartridge and so little on rifle.]

[Note: From a business stand point I believe you will find some of the highest paid gunsmiths are those who have a reputation for excellence in working on DGR's for clients that go to Africa --- not a bad place to be.]
Old 04-04-2006, 12:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have posted over there for several years. I don't believe that I am tainted yet. Learning from one site does not mean you should turn a blind eye to the other sites.

445. You can coax 2600 fps from the 416 Rem mag too although the Lyman maual from which I do most of my loading, show only 5 fps difference between the Rem version and the Rigby version. Both can cover some range with the 325 grain X bullet.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:44 PM

Methinks2600 fps withthe RemMag yes, with 400 grain bullets no.
Perhaps a bit more than 5 fps between the Rigby and the RemMag.

Barnes #3
400 grain XLC's

416 Rem Mag:
2363 fps

416 Rigby
2673 fps

310fps difference when you are talking 400 grain bullets is a lot of differential.

How is it possible? One answer. Case capacity. RemMags are usually stuffed while Rigbys have lots of room. I've heard of folks attempting to maximize RemMag performance only to find that the seating of the bullet on a compressed round bulged the shoulder suffiently to where the round would not chamber in the gun. Even on max loads for the 416 RigbyI can still hear the powder shake inside.

The Rigby shares more in common with the 416 Weatherby than with the 416 RemMag (compare the cases and you'll see that Roy wasn't all that creative).
Not bad for a 95 year old Brit.

Yes, one can always drop to smaller bullets (the 325 Barnes X is no longer made BTW) and then the 416RemMag closes the gap a bit, but always lags behind.... sometimes a little, sometimes a lot.

BB, don'tget aBigBore for economy of anything, it's akin to buying a 4x4 Dodge 1 Ton truck with the Cummins Turbo Diesel and then whining about the cost of diesel fuel --- bullets, powder, etc.... same story.....

If you reload, or are supplied by someone who does, thenthere is potential for more than 5 fps differential.
That said, the 416RemMag is a powerful and popular option.
==================================

All this is very nice but still doesn't answer BB's original question.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Elk. The Rigby can outshine the rem 416 by a good bit. reloading is the way to go. Lots more room in the rigby case. Just look in the manuals and see for yourself.

Brian
Old 04-05-2006, 05:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am darn lucky nothing ever jumped me when all I had was the enemic 416 Rem. That could have been bad.

I see Barnes has the 350 tripple shock now. Should work in the deer patch.