Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

dangerous game rifle ?

Old 03-31-2006, 08:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: dangerous game rifle ?

My personal favorite bigbore is my Marlin 336 in .50 Alaskan built by Regan Nonneman www.leaveractions.com it will drop anything on the planet including the shooter if you are not holding on tight ha ha but seriously the man builds a quality rifle in a true bigbore caliber but that is just my opinion chad
Old 03-31-2006, 10:52 PM

"....For those of you that do hunt Africa and do actually shoot honest big bore rifles on a "regular" basis what do you prefer?"
Again, if you truly want a discussion of this question by those that walk the walk, then you must go to where those individuals are. Go to accuratereloading.com in either the African or Big Bore section. Otherwise, here, you are working almost entirely with conjecture.

If you mention you have a 338 RUM I expectmost would not recommend a 375 H&H to you.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Never hurts to check other sites but many of those same guys are on this site as well. Even those who hunt deer and other inferior species, know a little something about hunting else where as well.Listen to all of the opinions and then make your choice. I am sure BB pretty well knows what he wants and is no stranger to Ballistics and KO theories.
Old 04-01-2006, 06:30 AM

BB is a gunsmith and experienced. True.
Nonetheless,his original post is very specific.
There are sites out there that will answer the stated question....
on point and in spades.... if that is what is desired.
Old 04-01-2006, 06:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

It looks to me like he has recieved some pretty good info from several folks that know. But hey, like I said, you can't get to much info. Check the other guys out. They will all have their opinion which will vary greatly. As it probably should. No cartridge suits everyones needs or desires.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:37 AM

Hell, I would just get a 375 Remington Ultra Mag. They shoot flatter than a 375 H & H(as flat as a 270) , Beltless, and good long at range. If you dont want one of those how about a 330 RUM. I assume those bug boys(.40 cal magnums) would not be of much use after 100 yards or do.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

So if we have walked the walk, we should go post on Accutate arms instead of trying to share expierences on this site? Good thinking.

Old 04-01-2006, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with the over looked 45/70. It is a great round with the right bullet. If thats not enough how about the 12 ga. from hell ? That just looks bad as hell.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:33 PM

Gand helps demonstrate my point....

"....If you dont want one of those how about a 330 RUM. I assume those bug boys(.40 cal magnums) would not be of much use after 100 yards or do...."
There is no 330 RUM.
BB already has a 338 RUM (per the thread).
Not much use after 100 yards? Really.

If you want real answers to your question, thentryasking where real answers are abundant.
Good thinking and sound logic.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

You heard that didnt ya James? He has to go where REAL hunters are for REAL answers!!! I feel so used [&o]

ME TARZAN!!!! USE BIGGGGG STICK!!!

Quick Reply: dangerous game rifle ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.