Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Simmons Scopes???

Old 03-27-2006, 02:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Simmons Scopes???

ORIGINAL: DM

Not long ago my nephue bought a Savage chambered in 30 short mag. and put a Simmons on it. The damn thing wouldn't sight in, and he wasn't too happy. He called Simmons and they told him to send it in, which he did. They told him "if" it wasn't warr., he'd have to pay $35.00, the cost they had into the scope and postage to get it replaced. (the scope cost $250.00 in the store) The scope was junk and they replaced it.

Personally, i wouldn't put one on a rifle i "had" to depend on, as istill don't trust them on a "work" rifle.

Drilling Man
All the best-quality, new-this-year Simmons scopes have a totally different internal mechanism design, which has to be far superior to any of the older ones made byanyone. So comments aboutSimmons scopes made before2006are not valid concerning this new design.But I'm curious about the quality of the OPTICS in these new ones.!
Old 03-27-2006, 04:03 PM
DM

All the best-quality, new-this-year Simmons scopes have a totally different internal mechanism design, which has to be far superior to any of the older ones made byanyone. So comments aboutSimmons scopes made before2006are not valid concerning this new design.But I'm curious about the quality of the OPTICS in these new ones.!
That's good to know BUT, i refuse to buy there scopes while they keep makeing changes trying to "finally" get it right!

Why would i? I can go buy a brand that "already has" a track record and not have to worry about it.

Drilling Man
Old 03-27-2006, 05:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

The old Aetecs had 5 inches of eye relief and it is darn non-critical eye relief. The new ones have lost that advantage and have 3-3/4-4 inches. This disappointed one of their biggest fans.[:@]However the quality and durability of the Aetec has never been in question. I have Leupold, Old Redfields and Bushnels but I would not pick any of them over the Aetec.

Some of these scopes offer a big advatage over the old proven ones, Many of us can't afford 400 and up for a scope. But Hey if someone were to buy me one, I would take it.( Hint to MRS Santa)
Old 03-27-2006, 09:19 PM
DM

Many of us can't afford 400 and up for a scope.
When i had my gunshop i can't tell you how many times i heard that! BUT, they kept comeing back to buy more guns!!! Geeeeee, the new gun cost the same or MORE than a good scope! DOH!!

Drilling Man
Old 03-28-2006, 06:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Some people like to try many different rifles. I am one of them. However I like to try different scopes as well and in doing so, I have found several scopes in the 150-200 dollars that gather plenty of light, Hold their zero and hold up to tough hunting conditions. The Swift Premier. 3200 Bushnel, the VX-l, Nikon Prostaffand Simmons Aetec have performed perfectly over many years. I have also had good service from the straight power Pro-Hunter and Tasco scopes. No cheap variables however. So long as these scopes continue to serve me well, I am sure not going to change.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:04 PM
DM

Some people like to try many different rifles. I am one of them. However I like to try different scopes as well
So, it's not that you can't afford a "proven" scope, it's more like you have "too much money", and you can afford to keep on buying "unproven" scopes.....

I've love to take one of those cheapo scopes and freeze it over night and then drop it in warm water a few times. Don't forget to give it a good dose of magnum recoil inbetween tries... That's the REAL proof of wether it's a "good" scope or not.

Where i hunted, if it couldn't take that, it would only be worthy of a "closet" firearm, or maybe for someone who can bring spareriflesalong.... I never had that luxury, and that's why i wouldn't put an unproven scope on a "work" rifle...

BTW, the only "back up" gun i ever took on hunts was a S&W M-29 because of weight restrictions, but then again, according to "you"they wear out faster than a cheapo scope!!

Drilling Man
Old 03-28-2006, 10:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: DM

Many of us can't afford 400 and up for a scope.
When i had my gunshop i can't tell you how many times i heard that! BUT, they kept comeing back to buy more guns!!! Geeeeee, the new gun cost the same or MORE than a good scope! DOH!!

Drilling Man
That has always puzzled me as well. I would rather have 1/2 as many rifles with superior optics than 2x the rifles without.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think the problem thatSimmons and Bushnell for that mattersell some scopes that are complete junk. You can buy them for 20 or 30$ or less fora 3x9-40 and they sell enough of that crap they prob dont even makebut just put their name on, that they tarnish their brand name and doesnt help sell many of their quality scopes.

The Aetecs(have one on my Muzzleloader) seem to be pretty nice fora $100ish scope and even a mid grade Bushnell Tropy(have one on my O/U)scope seems to be pretty solid but getting thoselinesmixed with the Flea Market quality of the low grade stuff hurts even the high dollar 4200 line of the Bushnell which IMO is better then the Leupold VX III's.

Maybe by not selling the disposable stuff to make a buck may actually help them to sell more of their quality stuff and they could still make the same buck and help their names in the long run.

Old 03-29-2006, 09:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

The scopes that I have listed above ARE PROVEN SCOPES. Many are 25-30 years old and have held up to every hunting condition that they have been exposed to. I don't know why you think these are unproven scopes. I venture to say that I have hunted under the most brutal of conditions as well. I don't and won't waste money. I have found that you can spend enough on optics without spending to much. 200.00 will buy durability and good clear optics. You go ahead and treat your scopes like that if you wish, My scopes have already proved themselves beyond any doubt.

All I said about S&W 44 mags is that they are not as tough and durable as the Rugers and Dan Wessons. Like you ,I have bought them and had my gun store for 20 years where I sold them as well. Also fifteen years of Combat and silhouette shooting makes me NOT an expert, but certainly familar with the good and bad points of the guns involved in these types of shooting. You have your opinions and I have mine, I would guess that both were formed by the expierences we have had.

Duckbutter.. If there was no market for what you call the disposable scopes, I would guess they would not make them. Many people have used the cheap scopes for years and never had a problem one. I have one Tascoe World class 4X scope on a Mauser rifle thats 30 years old and has never been resighted or changed POI once. I have a Pronghorn thats been on my wifes 250 Savage for ten years that works great. While I prefer optics in that VX-l, 3200, Aetec and Premiers class, many will just never spend that for a scope and why should they be left out of the market. Bushnel has done pretty well with the range of optics they sell.