Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rusty bore

Old 03-24-2006, 04:16 PM

Default Rusty bore

Hey guys....well I just bought my savage 110 last august and ive always cleaned it well and correct after shooting and such things like that.....and last night i went to look down the bore and i notice rust in one of the grooves...i couldnt tell how far it goes down. I do not own a gun safe...i kept the gun in a case locked up...so im wondering that maybe a lil moisture might have gotten through and the rifle wasnt able to breathe or somin? Well is there anything i can do it about it? I shot it a couple days ago at the range and it still shoots extremely well. Thanks.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Rusty bore

clean the bore of all of the rust run a lightly oiled patch through the bore then store the rifle in a silicone treated gun sock they cost about 5.00 I store all of my guns in gun socks and i have never had any problems i hope this helps chad
Old 03-24-2006, 05:08 PM

How should i go about getting the rust out of the bore? Thanks alot.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:57 PM

sffguitar, you can try running some patches saturated with (blue wonder's gun cleaning gel) Just keep lubing up patches and letting the gel sit in the bore for awhile. After the gel sits for awhile, you could even take your copper brush down it about 6 or 7 times to start breaking up hard to get deposits. Then take a clean patch(put some good oil on it)and run it down the bore several times. You will probally see a rusty reddish brown color. (This means the blue wonder is working) Run another clean patch (with oil on it) down the barrel several more times. The patch most likely will end up showing less and less rust. The patch might come out almost nearly clean. If the patches are coming out a bit blackish still, I would get some good foaming bore cleaner and let that sit in the barrel for ATLEAST 5-10 minutes. (you will see the foam turning blackish) This is desolving any copper and powder residue. After waiting 5- 10 minutes run your copper brush down the bore repeatedly. Then again, shoot some more foaming brush down the bore (and let it sit again for 5-10 minutes) Now, saturate a few more patches and clean all the foaming cleaner out of the barrel with the oiled patches. After this procedure, you will neither have rust, copper, powder or any other residue left over.
I do not practice these cleaning procedures with all of my guns (I usually dont have to)
However, I have used these techniques on very old, neglected guns. I have used thus on gun bores that were so fouled with junk and rust that i thaught I would never get it out. But alas, after many trials of different products, I found quite a few that worked for me.

I find that I like the gels and foams because they seem to take away alot of the scrubbing work. (if you let them sit and work)

Good luck cleaning your gun. Im sure if this technique has worked for me on some old, hopeless, neglected, beaters, that it will possibly work for you also.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:27 PM

Wow thanks alot Buckstalker.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:40 PM

You are very welcome sffguitar. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Let us know how it goes.

I have 47 guns now andI clean them every month or two. I have used alot of different products. Some work very well, some don't work well at all.

So feel free to ask if you have any more questions.