Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7mm-08 or 280 Rem

Old 03-15-2006, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 7mm-08 or 280 Rem

ORIGINAL: deerhunter518

I would go with the 7mm-08 because with the 280 you will kill any deer out there but you are limited to what you can drop with it. The 7mm-08 on the other hand is a .308 cal cut down to a 7mm bullet, so you will get the power of a 308 pushing on as lighter 7mm bullet wich means more fps equals more ke equals further shots equals better knock down. They both are good guns so its totally up to you but I say 7mm-08
WOW..........HUH.......you have some studying to do

Old 03-15-2006, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 7mm-08 or 280 Rem

As suggested when you flip that coin you should know that if it lands on edge it means you must get a 7MM Mauser.

The 280 Remington (along with the 30-06) is among a select few cartridges that can adequately handle all the worlds big game from pronghorns to eland with a light weight rifle. DG excepted of course.

The advantage of a short action is slight to nonexistant IMO but the advantage of being capable of driving a 175 grain bullet at very respectable speeds falls in favor of the 280 remington.

In 1903 when the 30-03 was developed for the military, had they opted for the .284 diameter instead of the .308 diameter bullet there would not be any where near the number of 30-06 rifles in the world. There would be no need for them at all. The .28-06 would be the world's leading cartridge. Today we call it the 280 Remington.