Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

My new XCR is here!!!

Old 03-13-2006, 08:56 PM

Default My new XCR is here!!!

My babies here!!! A brand spanking new Remington XCR in 375H&H, I just picked her up from the shop yesterday. The first thing I did was give her a good clean and adjust the trigger, I then choose what mounts looked the best on her and then went strait off to the range to break her in and zero the new Kahles 2.2-7X36.

I was very surprised by the recoil to say the least as it was about the same as a 7mm rem mag but with more push and less jump and not as much bite, and is much more pleasant to shoot then any other 375H&H that I have shot yet by a long way.

I didn’t feel too steady off the bench as I couldn't get my position right. After the 1st 15 shots to zero good groups were a little beyond me and it took two groups before I realised that if I don’t let her cool between shots then she strings them about 1.5”, after I put the first 60 factory rounds through her and reload some I can see her shooting about 20mm.

After I got home I lightened the trigger a little more and set it a bit crisper and as I have a good 3-5mm space in the mag to seat the projectiles out I can see this being a very accurate big game outfit indeed.

As for the mechanics it is one of the smoothest and best functioning rifles I have ever bought new. With a little wearing in it will be very smooth indeed, feeding from the magazine was flawless and ejection was very positive. The surface finish was blemish free and there was no sign of tool marks and the stock fit was perfect.

Over all while I don’t like buying any firearm sight unseen my previous experience didn’t let me down in my opinion there definitely on a winner here.

Old 03-13-2006, 10:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: My new XCR is here!!!

Good deal. Hope you enjoy shooting and killing with it.

But you gotta quit with the "mm" stuff. You are confusing me...... You're talking about string out groups 1.5" and then tell us it should shoot 20mm with hand loads in the same sentence. You are talking to Americans here we don't know that "mm" stuff.

What is a "mm" any way. [8D] No wait, I know......... It's candy.

I gotta say, a group the size of 20 M&M's isn't very good.

Just kidding!

Have fun with your new rifle.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:20 PM

Congrats on your new rifle. Very nice set up you got there. I bought my XCR last September and couldn't be happier. So what game will you be hunting with it?
Old 03-13-2006, 11:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice setup. You hear a lot of griping on here bout the Remmy's but they always have served me very well. Recoil surprised me..I figured it would knock your fillings loose.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:34 AM

Sorry about the numbers but I know metric and as most shooting is measured in imperial I try to convert it for all of you heathens. (25mm in an inch)
I’m taking it out tomorrow after a Sambar deer (similar to elk) but I’m going to use it on Red deer, Camels, and Buff also and from time to time on big Boars.
I don’t know why people knock Remington’s, as I have never seen a bad one.

Old 03-14-2006, 04:25 AM

she looks like a beauty, 260. and don't worry, there are some aussies on here who can talk both "mm" and inch. if she shoots 20mm ( 3/4 inch for our american friends) you should be rapt. don't forget, too, that recoil is a cumulative affect, so the groups might have opened up due to shooter fatigue, rather than just heating the barrel. i find that even a lightweight .270w shoots better groups early in the day. sitting behind a 375 on the bags for 60-odd shots would take it's toll.oh, and if you are heating the barrel that much, then don't! you'll burn it out before you run it in

as for the recoil, i too would have thought it would kick a lot more than the 7mm mag. a lot of "felt" recoil comes down to stock design, of course. and the 375 H&H has been the popular professional choice in africa for decades - largely due to it's "relative" shootability.

good luck with the beasty. let us know how it goes with handloads
Old 03-14-2006, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: saladin

and don't worry, there are some aussies on here who can talk both "mm" and inch.

And Canadians...

Very nice setup. I like your scope, nothing like good optics for a fine rifle. I was also surprised at the recoil. I have shot 7 mm for years and would have thought the 375H&H would have been worse then what you described...
Old 03-14-2006, 06:05 AM

I think that the limbsaver recoil pad soaks up the worst ofthe recoilbut after the 1st 20rnds the last 5 were enough for me.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great looking gun. I hope it serves you well.

Just wondering. The front sight looks like it may be in the scope's field of view. Not sure if it is or not it just looks that way in the picture.

Good luck and good hunting with it
Old 03-14-2006, 02:07 PM

Nice rifle! I am hoping to add an XCR to my gun safe this year. I have not decided on a caliber, though. I want something for brown bear, so I am wavering between .338 RUM and .375 H&H.

I just shot my friend's .375 this weekend. I have shot big rifles before, but never a .375 H&H. It wasn't bad at all. It kicked a lot less than I expected. I clocked the 300 grain Partions at 2400 fps over my chronograph.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.