Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Puma rifles

Old 03-11-2006, 08:08 AM

Default Puma rifles

Anyone have experience with the Puma line of rifles. Been thinking about a rifle in 44mag, and came across the Legacy sight and saw that they have a rifle in 454 Casull. That really caught my interest. I woudl be using the rifle for mainly deer, but might consider a PA black bear hunt now and then. Whats your thoughts, 44mag, or 454 Casull in a rile? Also, do you know if a mount can be added to the puma to mount a scope? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated...

R1
Old 03-11-2006, 10:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Puma rifles

I had one Puma rifle which was a fair weapon. However the quality appears to be spotty and I would choose the Marlin 44 Mag in a skinny heartbeat. The 44 Mag in a rifle is plenty of gun for deer and Black bear. Many moose have dropped to the 44 Mag Revolver and you can expect a good velocity gain from the longer rifle barrel. I also have the NEF single shot in 44 Mag. Its a thumper with 300 + grain cast bullets.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Puma rifles

The Puma in .454 Casull appears to be the best one they know how to make. Initially, there was a lot of badmouthing of the .454 caliber version, assertions that "it cannot stand up to the pressure", etc., etc., invariably by people who had not tested one!! None of these dire predictions seem to have come to pass, and those who own.454 Pumas all seem well-satisfied with the quality and performance of their rifles. Some of these folks are acknowledged experts, like Paco Kelly.

As for the .454 in a rifle, it isn't quite a .45/70 or .450 Marlin, but it is definitely OUT of the "handgun cartridge in a rifle" categoryas exemplified bythe .44Magnum Marlin 94's or Winchester M94's......

I would not hesitate to use one for deer and black bear hunting in PA....