Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Well...I got something to say...

Old 03-15-2006, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Well...I got something to say...

ORIGINAL: JagMagMan

ORIGINAL: SHoNUFF
I like to KNOW your not coming after one shot. Then 9mm is great if you wanna blast 4-5+ rounds at someone to stop them. But i take the 45.
Personally, I like the .45 too! But, I have heard of one County jail escapee that took a fullmag of .45's befoe expiring! So, nothing is certain! Perhaps moreIS better!
darn right more is better.....it's called a shotgun.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

45...9mm,45...9mm, use freaking 12 gauge
Old 03-15-2006, 09:30 PM

Briman you can use "paper technology and theories" on alot of military/law enforcement equipment but when it comes down to outright personal/in the field examples, the 45 puts the 9 too shame with actual experience. The military adopted the "lay down superior #s of fire upon your enemy" many years ago because most recruits simply aren't that good of a shot. My brother-in-law and neighbor both just recently returned from a year in Iraq and they will BOTH tell you that they would've MUCH RATHER have had a 1911 than their standard issue 9 Beretta.

I have a couple of 38s, 9s a 357 and a new 45 (Para LDA SSP Black Watch) and while I could "spray the hillside" with one of my 9s I would MUCH rather have either the 357 or the 45 on my hip if I were shooting Hadji's or enemies.

No question on the 12, but in close quarters (like hand too hand or in the same room of a home/building, I would rather have a handgun).
RA
Old 03-15-2006, 09:41 PM

I'll stick with my .357SIG
Old 03-16-2006, 08:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: 700bdl870exp

i am on the fence with this one. i agree with both sides really. i personally favor the 45 but im a rather hefty guy and can handle it. where as like my sis shoot the 45 and complains but when handed the 9 is fine with it. i think it wasnt the best idea for the military to leave the 45. way more knock down then the 9 but its lighter and in turn can carry more ammo which appears to be the biggest thing. and i know illcatch flack for this but it seems every one needs all the ammo they can get there hands on cuz most cant hit crap but owell just my opinion.
Well, from a military standpoint, except fora select few, a handgun is more of a badge of office than anything else. So anything will suffice, regardless of caliber. However, for those folks in daily close contact with the bad guys, I note that many are returning to the .45 ACP.

Forexample, the Special Forces folks have just let a contract for a bunch of new M1911A1 type pistols, to be built by one of the small firms that produces fighting handguns..... I hope there's still enough .45 ACP ball ammo in the supply system for them!
Old 03-16-2006, 08:39 AM
Dominant Buck

You go for head shots with a .22lr and chances are they will not get up!Do you mean to wound or do you mean to kill?
Old 03-16-2006, 11:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have seen what a .22 lr HP will do and it isnt pretty. For close in it will do the job and most can shoot it better then a hand cannon. I still love my .44 mag It is just fun to shoot. Ruger .44 mag srh
Old 03-17-2006, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Briman you can use "paper technology and theories" on alot of military/law enforcement equipment but when it comes down to outright personal/in the field examples, the 45 puts the 9 too shame with actual experience.
My brother-in-law and neighbor both just recently returned from a year in Iraq and they will BOTH tell you that they would've MUCH RATHER have had a 1911 than their standard issue 9 Beretta.
The Europeans have been using the 9mm in sidearms for 100years, even the brits changed from the bigger diameter .455 webley to the 9mm.

The real world experiences with the .45 and 9mm more than likely have more to do with the person shooting it than the caliber itself. People who are into guns gravitate toward the .45, mainly because of the 1911 pistol which lends itself to fast shooting, good accuracy, and unlimited customization. These people tend to be much better shooters than the run of the mill police or Military Officer who is issued a 9mm, consequently the better shooter is almost always going to get faster stops because of their more precise shooting than those who are given a 9mm with very little practice or even interest in their sidearm. If I were in a situation where I had to use a sidearm on a daily basis, Id choose a .45 in 1911a1 also, it come out of the holster and registers hits far faster than a typical SA/DA pistol. (I shoot both a 1911 and a Beretta 92 in IPSC competition, there is nothing wrong with the 92, its an outstanding pistol, but if I had to choose, I'd pick the 1911A1 every time)

The military adopted the "lay down superior #s of fire upon your enemy" many years ago because most recruits simply aren't that good of a shot.
Nope. The 'fire and movement' tactic developed during WWII is far superior to individual aimed fire. The squad putting down covering fire doesn't need to hit anything, just needs to keep the enemy pinned and uanble to return fire or move until another squad moves and flanks the enemy position or better yet, calls in artillery. At any rate, it has nothing to do with handgun calibers.

I have a couple of 38s, 9s a 357 and a new 45 (Para LDA SSP Black Watch) and while I could "spray the hillside" with one of my 9s I would MUCH rather have either the 357 or the 45 on my hip if I were shooting Hadji's or enemies.
Now that is just plain silly[8D]

Old 03-17-2006, 09:51 PM

I choose the 40 as I can shoot and hit the head of anyone close enough to be a real threat, but the same can be said for a 22 . But in reality I carry a keltec 380, or a glock 23 or glock 35. The best handgun is the one you have with you when you need it. Become proficient with whatever gun you decide to carry, and hope you never need it!

Old 03-19-2006, 08:22 PM

I love to shoot my 9mm Browning High power. But My Colt 1911 is great too. I have never shot anyone so I am no real help. But if you hit the OFF BUTTON (the middle of the forehead) with a 9mm or even a .380, you will have no problems!
I know some cops who say that nothing beats the .357 mag from a 4 inch barreled revolver for sheer stopping power. It is still the cartridge that all other cartridges are compared to as far as stopping power goes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.