Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.17 HMR

Old 03-07-2006, 08:29 PM

Default .17 HMR

How do you boys like this little caliber? Just picked one up and am I ever impressed with the accuracy. Did some trigger work on the little savage and it shoots like a dream.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:40 PM

Default RE: .17 HMR

I have a ruger and love it. It's more accurate than I ever thought it would be- and stands up to wind better than I thought it would, too. Fun gun to plink around with.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:07 AM

I really enjoy mine. I have the Savage as well, in heavy stainless. I also had to do some trigger work on mine. I bought the replacement kit from RifleBasixand now the trigger is adjustable from 10-26oz. It is an absolutely great shooter. I used it to take many coons this past season, and it did a wonderful job. I no longer have ticked off coons hitting the ground and a dog fighting them. They hit the ground dead. I was using the 17gr loads, and made sure to hit the spine. 17 cal hole going in, and no exit wound. I also used it to take 25 tree rats with great success. For those I used the 20gr loads, and damage was almost identical to a 22mag. All in all I am very pleased with this gun/round. And now that ammo is coming down in price, it is even better.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:06 PM

i think its a great gun. ive taken over 30 groundhogs all drops. ive taken many other animals also. with that being said tho i dont really have the need for this gun bc for plinking and small stuff i have a 22 and for bigger stuff and long range i have a 223. so its all depends on ur needs
Old 03-08-2006, 01:15 PM
Typical Buck

Onesock wrote How do you boys like this little caliber? Just picked one up and am I ever impressed with the accuracy. Did some trigger work on the little savage and it shoots like a dream.

Onesock, I have some guns that need some trigger work what did you do.

James M.