Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Newbie shotgun/slug question

Old 03-03-2006, 02:34 PM

Default Newbie shotgun/slug question

I'm interested in using my shotgun (previously used only for clays and
pheasant) to hunt big game. Can you shoot slugs from a standard
shotgun, or do you have to get a rifled barrel? If the former, what choke
do you use and what slugs do people recommend?

Thanks!
Old 03-03-2006, 03:19 PM

Default RE: Newbie shotgun/slug question

With a smooth bore you can shoot rifled slugs or punkin balls. If you're planning on shooting sabots you need a rifled barrel to at least shoot them accurately. I don't know if they require a rifled barrel or not. I use punkin balls for deer.

You can shoot slugs out of any choke. I've sent them through a turkey choke, but most definately would not recommend it. It's inaccurate anyway. I believe the Remington slugs (which I use) recommend a modified choke.

Another option is to get a rifled choke tube to shoot sabots. I don't have any experience with this though...
Old 03-03-2006, 03:21 PM
Fork Horn

Yes depending on the gun. Some have over bored barrels and cannot shoot slugs. If you do shoot slugs out of a smooth bore you will want to use rifled slugs I had my best resultswith brenekke's. I shot slugs out of askeet choke with no problems but I think you want a cylinder choke. I know the make rifled choke tubes but have never tried them.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

eparvier, you need to inform us as to exactly what shotgun youhave.

There are many variables. I hope you are not talking about something like a high dollar o/u.

Post up more info and I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable members here will give you "the straight shot".
Old 03-06-2006, 04:39 PM

ORIGINAL: uncle matt

eparvier, you need to inform us as to exactly what shotgun you have.

There are many variables. I hope you are not talking about something like a high dollar o/u.

Post up more info and I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable members here will give you "the straight shot".
Sorry, the shotgun I have is a Beretta AL391 Urika, 12 gauge. Fantastic gun for clays. Not cheap (at least not to me), but also not a multi-thousand dollar O/U. I don't want to do anything stupid to it!

Thanks,
Frank
Old 03-06-2006, 06:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yes you can shoot slugs out of that gun. It's not going to hurt it in any way. You can also shoot slugs out of an O/U just fine as well as long as it hasn't been back bored and still is the standard .729" diameter bore. Although I have never seen anyone actually do this out of an O/U.

You are not going to find a rifled barrel for that gun so you will need to use rifled slugs or forester type slugs and not saboted slugs. I suggest an improved cylinder choke.