Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

vanguard vs. savage

Old 03-02-2006, 08:31 PM
Spike

Default vanguard vs. savage

i was wondering peoples opinions on the advantages of a weatherby vanguard, and the savage 10GXP3 or a savage 16FXP3. What does a button-rifled barrel mean, because the vanguard does not say that. I know the accutrigger is one of the best triggers around but that vanguard is pretty nice for the money. I've ruled out the Mossberg ATR 100, but im stuck between the Savage, Vanguard, and the Stevens 200. I want it in a .243. Let me know what youthink.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: vanguard vs. savage

ask yourself this Japan vs. USA

Vanguards are made in japan and Savages are made in the good ol' USA. to me vanguards dont even exist, my choice would be simple.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Button rifiling is the method of production for their barrels, vanguards i believe are hammer forged barrels. from my experience with production grade barrels button rifled barrel 9 times out of 10 are more accurate then hammer forged barrels due to how different the two types of manufacture are. Button rifling uses a small piece of carbide steel that has reverse cuts of the bore on it and typically is used to cut the rifling into the bore by being pushed or pulled through.

Hammer forged barrels are made by having a full length piece of carbide steel with reverse pattern of the bore on it and the barrel is beat onto it. which tends to leave the suface of the bore alot more inconsistant in uniformity the whole length of the bore also this method stresses the steel alot more then button rifling which could be bad even though they heat treat the steel to relieve stress, theres still the chance your barrel could leave the factory with excessive amounts of stress fractures which could have catastrophic results over time.

I personally stay away from hammer forged barrels, I typically prefer button rifled barrels with exception of remington and springfield who both hammer forge their barrels.
good luck
Old 03-03-2006, 07:45 AM

I can't speak for the Vanguards but I have a Savage 16FXP3 in the .308 caliber. I can't say enough about how accurate this rifle is and was straight out of the box. I love it. It is very light wieght and a dream to shoot.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:55 AM
Fork Horn

My buddys got a vanguard in 257 wby and it shoots good. With weatherby ammo it keeps it rightaround an 1 at 100 yards. But weatherby ammo for it cost 45.00 a box ouch but it puts the whitetails down. I tend to like savages a little more then the vanguards. I would probley take the savage if I were you.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Vote for the Vanguard here. I just think it has a better feel and much better look if that matters. You dont have to get a Weatherby caliber but that 257Wthby sure is a nice one.

As far as Japan vs USA. Well most of their products are better then ours, I hate to say it but its true.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:17 AM
Spike

Thanks for the replys guys. That helped alot. Being made in America is very important to me. I am a huge Winchester fan. I just cant afford a Model 70 right now. But it looks like they are going to Japan also. My other debate is wheather to go with a .243 for shooting coyotes or gowith something a little bigger. Next fall i am going to school at Southern Illinois University and i wont be useing it at all. But one of the first things i am going todo after college is go big game hunting. Maybe elk, muleys, pronghorn, or maybe even whitetails. I was thinking about getting it in .308 because of the versitility and different loads for it. US snipers and NATO use it for a reason. Thats my opinion on the .308 at least. Thanks guys!
Old 03-03-2006, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

The vanguard is a far better gun than the savage.....bar none at all. Both have a reputation of being accurate and the vanguard is a better built gun.
Look to the Howa...it's the same as the vanguard and might be a few less bucks.

The method of producing rifling is purely scholastic as long as it's done right.

If the gun is to be used for big game such as elk something bigger than a .243 might be in line.....for coyotes the .243 is about perfect.

I'd be looking for the .260 or 7-08 if they're available for the dual task. In the end however you'll likely have a varmint rig and a big game rig as the idea of dual purpose sometimes means not perfect for either.

Old 03-03-2006, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd get my head around 2 guns. A dual purpose gun is fun, but Vapodog is correct....you ultimately end up giving up a little on both ends to satisfy both needs. You could get a 7mm/08 or 260 or 6.5 x 55 or 7 x 57 (or any of the other many good calibers in the middle) and hand-roll 2 wieghts of pet loads...and you'd be pretty well off.

But, wouldn't you rather have two rifles that each can be versatile in their own range of power...Like a 30/06 AND a .243?

BTW, the Howa is a real sleeper of a rifle for the $$ if you have a FFL that can order one for you without stepping on the price too much.
Jerry's Sports Center (just google them for the website, they have about 7 locations around the USA) currently is running packages on a Howa's with a Leupold VX-I 3-9x40 mounted and bore sighted, black polymer stock and 3 position saftey for 499.99. Your FFL (if a nice guy) might get one of these to you for just $535-$565 .... which would be a good package.
They have similar packages for less money with cheaper scopes, they start aroudn $345.00 (dealer cost of course). BTW they do make the Howa in .204, .223, .22-250, .243, 25/06, 6.5 x 55, 7mm/08 (lightweight youth model only I think) .270, .270 WSM, 7mmWSM, 7MM Rem, 308, 30/6, 300WSM, 300 Win Mag, and 338 Win Mag. That's a whole lot to choose from.

Old 03-03-2006, 04:06 PM

I can't comment on the weatherby as I have no experience with them, but I do think the Savage's are fine guns for the price. I have model 16fss (same gun without the scope) in .223rem. The fit and finish isn't the best, but they are very accurate guns. In fact, out of the box they are the most accurate I have seen. The accutrigger is a fine factory trigger, and as you probably know easily adjusted by the user. Keep in mind the scope in that Savage package is not the best. It is the simmons 8 point ($30 scope). I'm not sure how well it handles under higher recoil. Like stated above, why not two rifles? I would suggest the .223rem and .270win. One will pick up where the other leaves off.

Quick Reply: vanguard vs. savage

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.