Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

HELP NEEDED! Old Weaver ring question??

Old 03-02-2006, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default HELP NEEDED! Old Weaver ring question??

Hello fellow gun students!
I recently won the bid for a vintage (50's-60's) Weaver k-2.5 and it arrived in good condition. It also arrived with a vintage and classic set of Weaver low mount rings on it ..... BUT they are the type than do NOT have the removable top section. In other words, they are a complete circle with only a small slit for the tightening screws to clamp down to fix and hold the scope.

So, I was able to loosen the front ring and slide it off the front b/c these old Weavers are straight up front....no wider expanded objective bell.
However, the rear ring is sandwiched between the rear ocular lens and the adjustment mechanism. Therefore, after loosening I cannot slide the ring off in either direction.

It is clear that I must either remove the ocular lens bell (which would probably allow the nitrogen to escape and possibly damage the threads) or somehow remove the adjustment mechanism in order to slide it off the front.

I'm at the point where I feel it is best to leave it alone and use these fine rings with this fine scope as is. But I thought I'd run this by the brain trust here for advice.
Thanks for any input folks.
John
Old 03-02-2006, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: HELP NEEDED! Old Weaver ring question??

Bump....Anybody got a clue how to remove the above/ Or must i leave it alone?
Old 03-02-2006, 07:11 PM

I'm takin' a shot in the dark. Does the side without screws have a funky bend and hook-catch "thingy" on it. We have a set like that at home. IF this is what you'd have to take the screws all the way out in order to unlatch the hook side. Will the screws come all the way out? Or is this one machined piece of metal?
Old 03-02-2006, 07:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Can you post a pic?
Old 03-02-2006, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Soilarch,
Nope, no hook...the ring is a nearly completely closed "C" shape...not a 2-piece ring.

bigbulls,
My son is coming home Sat with a digital camera and I will try to post a pic then. I'm sure the only way for this to come off is to remove the adjustment turrets, but I haven't a clue how to go about it but would attempt it with some instructions.
John
Old 03-02-2006, 08:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Don't take the scope apart. If you do you may as well forget about ever using it again.

If no one can help right now at least wait until you get some pics of what you are talking about posted. Try to get some clear close ups from all angles.

Another question..... Are you 100% sure they are Weaver brand rings and not just a Weaver style ring?
Old 03-03-2006, 05:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

I had an old Weaver similar to this only mine was "belled" on both ends. I guess Weaver put the rings on prior to assembling the scope (not a one piece). If they are in good condition, there is nothing wrong with these rings andI would say to leave as is and use them.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well, if you are talking about the old-style rings which have a vertical slit in the top and are cinched by cross-screws in that location, (like the old-time Redfield JR rings that were used on the 1903A4 sniper rifle with the Lyman Alaskan 7/8" scopes, SEE PICTURE), I found that I had to ruin the rear ring to get it off if I did not want to take off the ocular lens bell or the adjustment turret. However, I suspect you could take off the ocular bell without losing any nitrogen, because if that scope is 40 years or more old, the nitrogen is most probably long-gone! It probably needs re-sealing and re-nitrogening to make it weatherproof again. Old seals tend to get brittle and leak nitrogen!

If I were you I'd use those rings just as they are now.

Old 03-03-2006, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks to all.....
Don't worry. I'm not dissassembling anything unless I get good info that it can and will work and I have expert directions.
I will post pics this weekend just for all of our knowledge.

These are true Weaver rings though, clearly marked "Weaver Detachable Top 1" HOWEVER...They do not have 2 separate pieces to them. They look like the pic that eldequello posted except that the slit is not at the top, but more at around 4 o'clock if you looked at it straight on (or 8 o'clock looking from the other side). No opposing hook on the other side ... just continuous metal.

I have a feeling the scope is holding it's gas..but only a trip afield in duck weather is going to let me know. And if it turns out to be in need of sealing and re-filling I understand there is still a company in El Paso doing a good business on Weaver make-overs. If anybody has their contact info I'd appreciate it just to add it to my library of reputable repair agencies.

I'll post my pics when my boy gets here Saturday with the digital camera.
Thanks again.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's some pic's of the rings and how they are really a continuous circle with only one slit on the side. I wil likely leave them on this scope because I can't for the life of me see how this will come off without either removing the ocular lens bell housing or the elevation and windage turrets, neither of which I'm prepared to do unless someone knowledgable assures me of how it's done. I've also added a 1948 Weaver advertisement I found on ebay that shows these same rings.

Quick Reply: HELP NEEDED! Old Weaver ring question??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.