Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

whats the deal with WSSM rounds

Old 03-01-2006, 08:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default whats the deal with WSSM rounds

I've herd go and bad from people about the WSSM. so what is everyone's opinion here on the board about these rounds? i know they are a little pricey, but how accurate are they and what is there performance on game?
Old 03-01-2006, 09:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: whats the deal with WSSM rounds

I've shot a Browning 25 WSSM and liked it. It is more than accurate enough for most game, fairly light weight, and quick handling. A few more options for ammo would be nice, though.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am very interested in the 25 wssm but not in a bolt action format. I would be looking for it in a decent single shot. I suspect it would be an inherently accurate critter. I don't think a super light barrel wrings the best out of anything. Time will tell whether or not it will survive the market. There are a bunch of 25-06's out there that already have a following.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

I will soon have a report on the 243 WSSM. Just picked one up. Have not done anything with it yet. Shooting weather in ND is hard to come by this time of year.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:05 PM

I don’t like them myself as I view them as a solution to a nonexistent problem and I’m not a fan of magnums in general but I do respect other people’s right to like them.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:14 PM

Since I handload....I think I'd be better off to buy a gun in an Ackley Improved chambering, at least then I could fire the more popular catridge through it. They've just taken the AI theory exaggerated it and put in in commercial offerings. The shorter action I don't feel are enough of a benefit to keep them alive in the long run. Of course, I'm the guy who thinks that all the needed cartridges have been invented and reinvented at least twice already. Guys would be better off handloading for their specific rifle and keeping themselves vaccinated against magnumistis.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love my A-bolt in 243wssm. Its a caliber I didnt have so it was needed. Shoots great very light and accurate.
I have 85 grn Nos Parts loaded to 2.216"with 45 grains(over max so work up to)of Rel 19 using the Fed magnum match primers and itsshooting right under to about an inch groups at 100yrds.Cant wait til next deer season to try it out on some speed beef. I havent had any ammo jams or probs with it.

Only drawbacks are that since its a new caliber brass isnt made by everyone everywhere but midwayusa has if for about 14$ for 50 and alot of peeps are starting to sell it on Ebay. Ive found plenty of load info on it and will be trying some new loads as soon as the weather breaks.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Just curious, Why would you load it over Max?.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I get the funds my next rifle will be a Browning A Bolt Composite Stalker Varmint in 223 or 25WSSM. Haven't made up my mind yet. I have 1000 pieces of 223 brass that is trimmed an primed and I only have 1 223 at the moment.......
Old 03-02-2006, 08:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

I looked at the 25 WSSM but they only had a Coyote and thet were to proud of that for me.. They only had the 325, 270,and 243 In the short mags left. Scheels in Sioux Falls had some 223 WSSM about a week ago.

Quick Reply: whats the deal with WSSM rounds

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.