Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

The perfect compromise. Pump rifles?

Old 03-01-2006, 03:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: The perfect compromise. Pump rifles?

Many don't like the see through scope mounts. However I never had any problem with them.

By all mean get the Remington pump. It will shoot just as good as 80 percent of the bolt guns. Here is the deal, For a guy like you and me who have to shoot left handed but are NOT LEFT HANDED, the pump is a 50 times faster because now you are operating it with your right hand which is a snap.

I cannot praise any gun morethan the 7600. The trigger is not great but its not bad and they are shooters. They function perfectly I would put a low power scope on it but I am used to finding running game with the scope. You wouldn't be out much trying the see through rings. You might like them. To each his own. I have had four 7600's one 270 and three 30-06's. One was the Carbine which I think they still make. This year they are running a limited run in 25-06 and 7mm-08.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I dont know the laws in Canada on buckshot but you could use a over under rifle shotgun. Put that low power scope on and you could use shotgun for close and rifle across lake. If Buckshots illegal then never mind.

I have a 7600 and used to use the high sights. They never felt comfortable looking thru scope without a rest but if I leaned against a tree or something for longer shots I didnt have a prob with it.

What about a magnified red dot scope. Ive never used one for long shots but my bud has one on his muzzleloader Ive shot a couple of times and it seemed to be ok.

I dont think youll get a bad caliber for what your doing with any they make in the 7600. I think the 7600 is alot faster for a second shot compared to a bolt.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:17 PM
Fork Horn

The pump action is only slightly faster than a bolt gun at making a second shot and that's the only place that a pump rifle would be of any benefit over a bolt gun.
I would say another benefit with pumps and levers is that you don't have to lift your head and lose the sight picture to cycle the bolt on the second shot.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:03 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: spuddog

The pump action is only slightly faster than a bolt gun at making a second shot and that's the only place that a pump rifle would be of any benefit over a bolt gun.
I would say another benefit with pumps and levers is that you don't have to lift your head and lose the sight picture to cycle the bolt on the second shot.
I never have to lift my head of the stock to cycle the bolt. I dont see why people havea problemwith that.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:42 PM

I don’t have to lift my head to cycle the bolt, I find that if you take the time to set up a bolt action so that it’s properly balanced with the proper length of pull and that the scope height and eye relief are set correct then it will produce very quick target acquisition and rifle handling speeds that are a match for a lever or pump action rifle.
I can out shoot my mate and his 7600 with faster and more accurate shots in any hunting situation and have even out shot mates with shotguns with my setup.

But the same rules apply to any style of firearm I find that the biggest cause of missed game or even not getting a shot off at all is that people have to adjust themselves to there rifle.
I see it all the time here is a scenario I see very often when I’m guiding other people.
We are walking through the bush when just up ahead a pig is seen it stops what it is doing and stands still sniffing the air. They bring there rifle to the shoulder and then they have to shrug and settle it in place they lean there head forward to get a better picture and line it up, just in time to see a tail disappearing into the scrub accompanied by a great deal of squealing.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

260. That may be true for you but you are not trying to work a bolt rifle that has the bolt on the wrong side. He said he has to shoot left handed because of his left eye domanance. The same is true for me. I am working the pump with my strong hand and therefore can work it as fast as an auto. There is nothing more clumbsy than a left hand shootertrying to work a right hand bolt. I have to reach across with my right hand to work the bolt. Since I am not left handed, I can't work a LH bolt very well either. Its guys like me find a home for the 7600.

Having to adjust your posiition to find something in your scope had not much to do with the gun design, instead its lack of using that gun in field positions that causes the problem.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:48 PM

ORIGINAL: 260rem
But the same rules apply to any style of firearm I find that the biggest cause of missed game or even not getting a shot off at all is that people have to adjust themselves to there rifle.
It was not meant to be a bolt V pump statement but one based on the general balance and sight alignment of the rifle. The same principles apply to pump actions as apply to bolt’s actions that being fast acquisition is based on gun fit and sight alignment and not the action that fires it.
The point that I was trying to make is that that for fast target acquisition and to shoot accurately at close fast moving game a low power scope can do it very well if the outfit is properly balanced for the shooter and by turning up the scope long shots are made far easer.
Of course that’s opinion based on my experiences and may not be true for everyone.

Old 03-01-2006, 05:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

I see your point. By the time I have a rifle zeroed in, the scope is aligned perfectly for me when I shoulder the rifle. I practice by finding flying birds in my scope. WITH THE RIFLE UNLOADED.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:39 PM

You know, you can get a zero or one power scope. Don't mount it forward like a scout rifle. If you do you will have problems with you eye dominance situation. Don't keep both eyes open. I have done fairly well with 1 power scopes at the range. (but never in the field)
Good luck
okcmco