Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

SAVAGE 17 HMR

Old 02-27-2006, 08:53 AM

Default SAVAGE 17 HMR

Went to the local pawn shop last saturday just looking to see what they had. Wound up buying a Savage 17 HMR.
I was told thegun was traded in by a local cop who bought it, took it out and shot it once, then brought it back cause he thought he wanted something bigger. The gun is in like new shape, has heavy targetbarrel,and came with a BSA scope.

I bought it and my son and I took it out to the range. It took me about half a box to figure out the scope mounts were not tight and the scope was moving on me. Once I got that tightened and got the scope dialed in Iwas extremely impressed with it. I put 4 out of 5 in the center at 100 yards.

Any of the rest of ya`ll have anything down in this range?
How do you like it?
I thought it would be a good rabbit/prarie doggun.

Not to mention that I bought the gun with scope and they threw in a box of shells for $160 out the door I thought wasa pretty good deal.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:02 PM

Default RE: SAVAGE 17 HMR

I have the Savage with a heavy stainless barrel, and laminate stock. It wears a BSA sweet17 scope, and I did a trigger job with the kit from RifleBasix. It is adjustable from 10-26oz. Right now, on a calm day, I get right around 1/2" groups at 100 yards. If their is any breeze, groups run 3/4-1". Before I replaced the trigger, the best groups I got were kust over 1". The original trigger was aweful, 6 pounds with lots of creep. It should serve you very well, and you got a great price BTW.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:38 PM

Default RE: SAVAGE 17 HMR

I have the savage 17HMR in the blued heavy barrel with plain wood stock. I think mine was around 200 bucks new at Cabela's. I have sort of an expensive 6.5-20 power varmint scope on mine though.

Mine easily shoot 1 inch or better at 100 yards if I do my part and the wind is low. I did a trigger job myself that they explian how to do on rimfirecentral.com .

If you plan on shooting small critters and eating them you best take head shots, the V-max bullets are pretty distructive on small soft animals.

I think you will like it though, I love mine.

Paul