Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Best All Around Shotgun?

Old 02-27-2006, 07:39 PM

Default RE: Best All Around Shotgun?

remington 870 express super mag will handle everything listed but i have just the express mag only capable or 3"shells and it kills things just as good as the 3 1/2 guns ive shot so as far as im concerned its not necesarily needed but it is kinda nice feature to be able to use 3 1/2.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:56 AM

I agree with the 870 express mag being the best best for an all around shotgun. I have used mine for turkey, dove, duck, geese, rabbits, tree-rats, deer, skeet, trap, etc....

I also have a winchester model 12 (my grandpa's), H&R 20 gauge single shot, and a remmington 11 LT 20 gauge.

The 870 is my all around goto gun.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:46 PM

My favorite is my Remmington SP-10 Magnum. It is unbeatable for waterfowl and turkey and with lighter shot can be used for upland game. Because of the gun's weight, about 11 pounds, the recoil iscomparable to a 12 guage pump action shotgun. I use my SP-10 for everything from pheasant to wild hog.

Caldoc
Old 02-28-2006, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd also go with theRem. 870 express mag. Mine is 3in and I think that, that is more then enough. Its a very reliable gun w/ alot of power.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:49 PM

I agree that the 870 is a good choice and isquite inexpensive, although my favorite is the Browning BPS
Old 03-01-2006, 08:28 PM
Fork Horn

There is not one best all around model for everyone. I like semi auto's the best. With semi auto's a 3" model is a better choice for all around use. Here are some models that I like that are in your price range. A barrel length of 26" or 28" is usually a good length for most auto loaders for all around use.

Beretta 390 (Wal Mart) and 3901 are gas operated. They are basically the same gun with different shaped receivers. They are fairly light in weight, have stock shims, and automatic magazine cutoffs. They each hold four shells and can't accept extensions. They are not too bad to clean. The 390 (Wal Mart) only comes in B/S with a 28" barrel in 12 gauge.
Beretta Pintail/ES100 is inertia operated. It's fairly light and has a slim forearm. They are very easy to clean and have an automatic magazine cutoff. It holds five shells and can't be extended. Shims are available for this model. This model does not have a magazine release making the unloading take a tad longer than most.
Browning Silver Hunter is gas operated. It's very light in weight and has stock shims available for it. It only comes in a Silver/Blue/Wood finish. It holds five rounds total. It does not have the speed load and magazine cutoff features but has the same gas system as the more expensive Golds.
Franchi 612 and 712 are gas operated. They are the same except for the receiver shape. They are very easy to clean and light in weight. They have an automatic magazine cutoff's and shims for the stock. They hold five shells and more with an extension. They don't have the best triggers in terms of weight and creep.
Weatherby SAS is gas operated. It is fairly light in weight and very easy to clean. It has a magazine cutoff switch and shims for the stock. It has a good safety shape, size, and location. It holds five shells and more with an extension. This model was made by SKB first then Valtro for Weatherby. Parts do not interchange between the two.
Winchester SX2 is gas operated. It has decent weight and is pretty easy to clean. It has a high rib design. It holds five rounds and more if extended. This is the only model that does not have a magazine cutoff of any kind. The Light field model is the same but quite a bit lighter and balances with more weight towards the stock.

Old 03-02-2006, 04:34 PM

I really like my Winchester 1300 Black Shadow. It's not much for looks, but it was dirt cheap and its darn near indestructable with the synthetic stock. I really like the way it handles and cycles too.