Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gun Safe in Basement?

Old 02-25-2006, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Gun Safe in Basement?

No problem BC, ... I do listen when some one gives me good advise...
Old 02-25-2006, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had a gun safe in my basement for 10 or 12 years. I also use a heater rod or "Golden Rod" inside, and check it frequently to make certain it's still working. You can also use the dehumidifying crystals. They change color when no longer effective, and by heating them in your oven, you can restore their function. I've never had any rusting problems, however, I do check my guns very frequently. Kinda paranoid about problems. I also run a dehumidifier in the summer. Blocking the safe up is also a good idea. If you block it up, make sure you have it tight against a wall you can bolt it to.
Bigcountry's right----- you really can't get too protective about rust. It's probably your worst enemy. Check 'em often-----
Old 02-25-2006, 03:52 PM
Dominant Buck

I have had a Gun Safe for over 20yrs and the humidity here in FL is a killer. I set mine on 90lb roofing paper and keep two small containers of Damp Rid in it. I buy the filler at K-Mart about every 3 months or so. The containers get filled with water and have to be dumped out when the filler is gone, but it's very caustic and you have to be very careful that you don't spill it on the guns. My guns look like the same day I bought them.

Down herein West Cenral FL., the humidity is so bad that Welding Hoses and Air Hoses don't last long. The only ones that last longer are the Good-Year red rubber hoses. That's how bad the humidity is down here.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:56 PM
bigcountry

Holy Cow, your kidding Rebel? You get that much moisture? You sure your not talking about your safe after a hurricane.

Old 02-25-2006, 04:22 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Holy Cow, your kidding Rebel? You get that much moisture? You sure your not talking about your safe after a hurricane.

People with bad Asthma down here are constantly inhaling oxygen and the hospital emergency rooms are crowded with them. West Central is sub tropical and it gets worst as you go south. Marijuana grows like a weed down here!
Old 02-25-2006, 10:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have had mine on a main floor, then had to move it too a workshop closet in garage, kept it off floor with a pallet, notice no rust.........
Old 02-26-2006, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I too have my safe in the basement, and I have had no "problems". I also have a rod inside the gun safe and also a dehumidifyer in the basement. I also wipe down my guns three to four times per year and to date all is ok. I elevated my safe off the floor with three pieces of pressure treated 4x4.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:20 AM

Why are you worried about putting a 500 pound safe on the second floor? The weight is really not that much unless you plan on leaving it in the middle of a large room that has unsupported floor joists. You would be setting it against a wall I assume right? Remember the weight is displaced over what a square yard or more. Hell any decent entertainment center weights that much.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had thought about the second floor myself, and asked about it at several stores. I heard the weight should be fine, but I decided not to go that way with tornados in mind. My area gets quite a few of them, and I don't want that big thing coming down into my basment if something start to fail above me. There's enough junk up there now.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I thought about putting one in my basement but after getting 4 foot of water in it a coupla of years ago I kinda talked myself out of it.

Quick Reply: Gun Safe in Basement?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.