Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

All the different Mausers?

Old 02-20-2006, 10:43 PM

Default All the different Mausers?

The thread on Mosin Nagants has me got me thinking. I like the old mauser cartridges, I really wish the would be helped out by some modern marketing. I love the mauser actions. And I like old guns. What does all this mean? This means that I was honest when in stated in that thread that I plan on getting an old used mauser this summer "when I have more dough to throw around". So what can people tell me about what to look for, which are usually regarded as best. The 98 is what most moderns are based off of, correct? The bore needs to be in good shape, not just the wood, surface metal. The Finns and Swedes made the best? There's so much to learn...and search engines fail miserabley because of all the mauser "stuff" out there. Also, as a side note, I'd like to handload...are manuals written with the old guns in mind? I know factory ammunition is.

I'm not looking for a pretty gun. I'm looking for a gun that I can put through slop, clean and give to my grandkids. and 3MOA isn't too much to ask, is it?
Old 02-21-2006, 12:00 AM

Default RE: All the different Mausers?

My Grandfather was a gunsmith. He claimed that the Argentine Mauser (model 1909) was the strongest of the millitary action. These were made (I believe) By Deutsche Waffen or DWM). My Grandfather made me a custom 1909 in .300 win mag. It has been a great gun after 1000 rounds. Still going strong.
Most of the DWM mausers are great.
The swedes are wonderful Mausers. Since they were used in sweden, and sweden NEVER used corrosive primers. So thier barrels are usually in great shape. They were made well and finished better than any other millitary mauser. But if you like to build up custom rifles, then stick with the 6.5x55 caliber that the swedes came in. These actions are not quite as strong as the 98, 1909, etc. Of course the 6.5x55 swede is a GREAT HUNTING cartridge.
You can also find Commercial mausers out there. Alot of them are made in Belgium by FN (Fabrique Nacional). These are wonderful guns and can be found in 30 06 often. Of course they can be a little pricey. You can find commercial Mauser actions pretty easily. Get a Shotgun news and scour the adds. These Belgian Commercial mausers are my favorite!
There are a few companies making guns on the Zastava (Yugoslav, I think) and CZ (Czech) mausers. I have a CZ and it is a fine gun. You can pick one up for about 100 bucks.
okcmco
Old 02-21-2006, 06:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: okcmco

My Grandfather was a gunsmith. He claimed that the Argentine Mauser (model 1909) was the strongest of the millitary action. These were made (I believe) By Deutsche Waffen or DWM). My Grandfather made me a custom 1909 in .300 win mag. It has been a great gun after 1000 rounds. Still going strong.
Most of the DWM mausers are great.
The swedes are wonderful Mausers. Since they were used in sweden, and sweden NEVER used corrosive primers. So thier barrels are usually in great shape. They were made well and finished better than any other millitary mauser. But if you like to build up custom rifles, then stick with the 6.5x55 caliber that the swedes came in. These actions are not quite as strong as the 98, 1909, etc. Of course the 6.5x55 swede is a GREAT HUNTING cartridge.
You can also find Commercial mausers out there. Alot of them are made in Belgium by FN (Fabrique Nacional). These are wonderful guns and can be found in 30 06 often. Of course they can be a little pricey. You can find commercial Mauser actions pretty easily. Get a Shotgun news and scour the adds. These Belgian Commercial mausers are my favorite!
There are a few companies making guns on the Zastava (Yugoslav, I think) and CZ (Czech) mausers. I have a CZ and it is a fine gun. You can pick one up for about 100 bucks.
okcmco
I own a Belgium Browning F/N Mauser made in 1967 in a 270 cal ... just love it !

dd
Old 02-21-2006, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

As well as those mentioned already, a cheaper alternative would be mausers made by CZ. CZ was the largest small arms producer in the entire world in the 1920s and made some of the finest mausers ever made. You can get a 98/22 or a VZ-24 for less than $200. Their finest offereng is the 98/29 Persian contract rifle which I belive to be the best mauser value out there- they were made with every single option available and would be close to equalling a 1909 argie if they would have been given a hinged floorplate. These rifles had very little if any use and usually have perfect bores, can be found for $200-250. A rarer rifle made by te czechs and the most coveted rifle used by the Germans was the G33/40- it was a very light and handy carbine built on an odd small ring mauser 98 action.

Swedes are in a class of their own. Swede armorers were very picky sorts and made sure hte rifles were perfectly maintained. The stocks were handfitted to the barreled actions for accuracy. Inaccurate rifles or those with worn bores were taken out of service and rebuilt. Unfortunately the prices are skyrocketing and there aren't any new ones pulled straight from swedish armories available except for some of the more expensive variations.

Here's a picture of my swedish sharpshooter rifle- the swedish military used these from the around 1941 to the late 1980s/early 1990s. Mine is a 1899 German rifle with a 1942 dated scope. It will shoot 1/2 moa or better with handloads.

Here's another 1899 mauser 96.

Old 02-21-2006, 01:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

The Swedish Mausers are some of the best kept of all Military rifle. However they are not as strong as some of the others. Generally speaking the 98 Mausers are the strongest of the military mausers and were chambered in quite a few calibers. Probably the 7x57 and 8x57 are the most common.

Pick up the book Cartridges of the World for more info. I have a book on Mausers but right now, I can't find it.[:@]The wife must have hid it.

I have about ten old Military rifles Three are the Swedish Mausers. I have a couple Argentine 7x57 Mausers, the rest are Enfields 1917's and Russian and British rifles. One Military rifle is made by Sako. I believe its chambered in 7.62X54R.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:00 PM

Really isn't a tremendous amount of difference in the strength of the different model Mauser actions What IS different is their abilty to safely vent gas in the event of a case head failure, pierced primer, and other such bad things. The 1898 is a superior action because of the way it handles venting gas away from the shooter.

If you are looking for a decent Mauser to play with, check out some gunshows, look at Shotgun News and Gun List. As long as you are just looking for a shooter and not a collectable, you should be able to find or order a 1898 actioned rifle for less than $200.
Stay away from the Mitchell's Mausers adds in the various shooting magazines. They are nothing special, just Yugoslavian M48s (intermeduaite length action) rifles. They are priced about 200 to 300% higher than the same rifle available from other wholesalers.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Doesnt it seem weird that with all the technology we have today the best actions we have are over 100 years old? Mr Mauser was a couple of hundred ahead of his time..lol.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:24 PM

The 1898 is a superior action because of the way it handles venting gas away from the shooter.
I'm left handed, does this mean they'll vent gas towards my face? I know I'll still be a couple inches behind the action, and it won't keep me from getting one, just wondering what exactly you meant by away from the shooter.

Thanks for the warning on Mitchell's Mausers...I had already found one and thought it looked good...I'll steer clear.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:25 PM

My 98 would easily shoot 2 inch groups with open sights off from a picnick table. Mine was a 8mm. I don't think 3 moa is asking too much, I wouldn't count on it though. You never now, I may have been lucky.

Paul
Old 02-21-2006, 04:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

DD. Its true the Mausers were a great development. I would still take the 700 Remington If it came down to one action.

Quick Reply: All the different Mausers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.