Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

All the different Mausers?

Old 02-21-2006, 05:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: All the different Mausers?

i like the german mausers myself....dad has one with all the nazi stamps and the whole 9yds...clean gun...i was the ORIGINAL mauser of the house lol..when i was...13 icut grassall summer and bought a belguim 98k chambered in 3006...it was already sporterized...im guessing it was a buy from a gunsmithing class someone learned to work on....tried hard to get it looking good....but left out alot of stupid details that should been taken care of first...missing/busted screws ect...few tool marks on the stock where he inlet it ect.....love the gun...i wont get rid of it....but its getting retired for a while when i get the money to buy a new gun....shoots OK..i just feel that i shoot better then it does....i can still put them where i want them..just doesnt group like id like....and the original trigger isnt what i like......and i want the screws replaced.....
Old 02-21-2006, 08:16 PM

The 1898 mauser was the best in the world...100 years ago. It is still a good action today, but part of the reason it is so popular is the fact that 80 kajillion of them have been produced. They are cheap, they are available, and they are still reasonably good.
Drawbacks? Locktime is glacial compared to modern actions. The action flexs somewhat when fired, partly thanks to the thumb cut in the siderail for the charger loading system. The 1898 was/is an expensive rifle to build. Lots of wasted metal, lots of different maching operations. Look at the price of commercially made Mauser type actions, and look at the price compared to a Remington 700 or Savage 110 action.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:28 PM

Doesnt it seem weird that with all the technology we have today the best actions we have are over 100 years old? Mr Mauser was a couple of hundred ahead of his time..lol.
ORIGINAL: Doe Dumper

Doesnt it seem weird that with all the technology we have today the best actions we have are over 100 years old? Mr Mauser was a couple of hundred ahead of his time..lol.
Yeah Dumper, you are right. At least here in the states. In Europe, they have embraced all of the newest innovations of mauser. Like the 1996 model which was a straight pull. Europe is more likely to be receptive to new systems, designs, and models even when they break from tradition in bith application AND appearane. Check out a picture of the Blaser rifles!
It is just like guitars. The most popular Guitars are the Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, And Gibson Les Paul. All of these were designed in the 50's. Even guitars from other manufactirers are based upon thios designs. Let's face it. We Americans are a pretty conservative lot.
Thanks god
okcmco
Old 02-22-2006, 10:50 PM

Alright, so let me ask the opinoins of you who are familair with the "old war" guns. If I wanted one to be functionally used. Not looked at or taken out to the range a time or two a year. Would you buy one of the old war guns or spend a little more money on an barreled action (which don't seem too hard to find) and get a stock of your choosing put on it?
Old 02-23-2006, 06:16 AM

What makes the old mausers so good is the action on them.

Soilarch,

Are you talking about sporterizing old old k98's from WWII? If so then I have seen some that are freakin fantastic!
Old 02-23-2006, 06:20 AM

Check out this site. Has a alot of info on the mausers -

http://www.mitchellsales.com/

Old 02-23-2006, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mitchell's for a lack of more tactful words are ripoff artists.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:46 AM

Briman,

I wouldn't buy anything from them but I like their downloabable manuals.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:57 AM

Yes, I meant take an old k98 action and build a gun around. It's wouldn't be a real nice one, money aint there for that. Don't know what would be done about barrel (I think that is what would make or break the bank) and put on "modern" stock on it. Leave it iron sights and call it good.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it has a barrel on it already try shooting it as-is. with handloads, 8mm mausers can be really good shooters.

Quick Reply: All the different Mausers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.