Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

SKS question???

Old 02-15-2006, 10:45 AM
Typical Buck

Default SKS question???

I have an SKS with a shorter barrel that takes AK 47 magazines not SKS magazines. I was told that it was a paratrooper model, but I have only ever seen two of them at gun shows. How rare are they and will the plastic folding stock fit this model ofSKS?

Thanks

Tom
Old 02-15-2006, 12:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: SKS question???

From what i understand those that take the ak mags aresomewhat rare- in that most/ the majority are made in standard non detachable 10 round fixed mag models.

On the paratrooper model what i hear is they where never used by paratroopers. Just a nameput on them after they took standard 20 inch barrel models& shortened there barrels at there arsonals & to sell for export as something somewhat more unique maybe(marketing?) (and shorter of course).Like above most would be the 20 inch versions.But lessrare than the detachable mag type

I passed up buying some new ones(guy had a few crates of them)with the shorter barrels in the early 90,s for a standard one. Those plastic stocks i think fit both( but cant swear on that)
I wouldnt mind 1 of the ones that come from the factory made to take the ak mags tho
Old 02-15-2006, 01:22 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: Knightia

From what i understand those that take the ak mags aresomewhat rare- in that most/ the majority are made in standard non detachable 10 round fixed mag models.

On the paratrooper model what i hear is they where never used by paratroopers. Just a nameput on them after they took standard 20 inch barrel models& shortened there barrels at there arsonals & to sell for export as something somewhat more unique maybe(marketing?) (and shorter of course).Like above most would be the 20 inch versions.But lessrare than the detachable mag type

I passed up buying some new ones(guy had a few crates of them)with the shorter barrels in the early 90,s for a standard one. Those plastic stocks i think fit both( but cant swear on that)
I wouldnt mind 1 of the ones that come from the factory made to take the ak mags tho
Just to add to this post...was it fitted with an adapter for the use of AK mags? I don't remember there ever being an SKS that originally took AK mags. I could be wrong though. I have seen many "adapter kits" to convert though.I also have a "paratrooper"SKS and like mentioned aboveI believe they were cut down and shipped out for sale as "paratrooper" but never actually used as such.

Be careful how much you alter your SKS,you don't want to turn it into an "assault rifle" it will then need to be 922 (r) compliant with the use of USA made parts. 922 (r) is still on the books.

In it's original condition it's compliant, however start adding a pistol grip, folding stock and detachable mags. This along with a bayonet (if equipped) and you just turned your SKS into an assault rifle that needs to be 922 (r) compliant. Now you MUST have a certian number of USA made parts in the gun.

Just giving a heads up.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just to add to this post...was it fitted with an adapter for the use of AK mags? I don't remember there ever being an SKS that originally took AK mags. I could be wrong though. I have seen many "adapter kits" to convert though
No from what i understand thats how they where made at the factory no adapter that i know of- theres a few site on the net tho know alot more them all then me for sure.

Thats true those batf rules - yephave to be carefull sorry- thanks for mentioning that BigJ my mistake ( they are very confussing to me all those rules) depending when made etc etc etc
Old 02-15-2006, 01:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Like if you take the gernade launher frontsite off of the ugos then there a illegal& a assult weapon? dont know -Got me-but good to check intoi agree.

One site on the net is called suvivors sks message board they seem to have a bit of info on them
Old 02-15-2006, 03:34 PM
Site Bouncer

I know it can get very confusing. The SKS is a little different because in it's original form it's not considered an "assault rifle" as defined by the ATF. Therefore it doesn't need to comply with 922(r) however once you change it around by adding a pistol grip folding stock and detachable mags (or a combination of other items) it does. For the most part if you switch stocks with a syntheticonethat does not have a pistol grip or folding stock (monte carlo style) you should be ok to use a detachable mag. Unless it still has the original bayonet with lug attached then Ibelieve you may need to comply with 922(r)

I love to shoot my sks's but I leave them in their original state. I did change oneand went with a straight stock and a 5 round detachable mag. This rifle however does not have the bayonet lug anymore (ground off) therefore is still not considered and assault rifle. To be sure though, contact your local ATF BEFORE you do any changes to your rifle and ask if what you want to do will change the classification of your SKS.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I love to shoot my sks's but I leave them in their original state. I did change oneand went with a straight stock and a 5 round detachable mag. This rifle however does not have the bayonet lug anymore (ground off) therefore is still not considered and assault rifle. To be sure though, contact your local ATF BEFORE you do any changes to your rifle and ask if what you want to do will change the classification of your SKS.
Great advise Big.

Yep same here i keep mine the same as how

i got them except i took the blade bayonet & other off mine& cleaning rod - and a red dot siteotherwise there how
i got them in thereoriginal form.

I did refinish the one stock it was pretty ruff-
Old 02-16-2006, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you want to change your SKS, you can legally replace the stock as long as you are not putting a folding or pistol grip stock on it. You can remove the bayonet.

In order to switch to high cap magazines, you have to make the rifle 922(r) compliant by having less than 10 of these items foreign made:
1. Receiver *
2.Barrel*
3.Muzzle attachments
4.Bolt*
5.Bolt carrier*
6.Gas piston
7.Trigger housing*
8. sear
9. hammer*
10. disconnector*
11.stock
12. handguard
13. magazine
14. magazine follower
15.trigger.*
also included are US made:
16. folding stock
17. detachable magazine

*denotes parts where there aren't any US made replacement parts.

Basicly you can change out enough parts to either have
A. a rifle with a folding or pistol grip stock.
B. a rifle with a detachable magazine

You can't have both.

You can thank lawyers and politicians for this nonsense.

There was a SKS that was originally built to take AK magazines.

I really like the Yugos- they are built like a tank and are plenty accurate for what they are.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:01 AM
Typical Buck

The one I have is factory with the AK magazines. I thought with the assault weapon ban expiring that it was legal to have the detachable magazines and folding stock together.

Thanks for the info so far.

Tom
Old 02-16-2006, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I thought with the assault weapon ban expiring that it was legal to have the detachable magazines and folding stock together.
yes and no. Its ok so long as the firearm is American made or if it were originally imported in that form. Currently there is a ban on importation of foreign made 'assault' rifles.

Quick Reply: SKS question???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.