Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

SKS question???

Old 02-21-2006, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: SKS question???

They had some intersting stuff there, probably a dozen different SKS's.

They had a couple of russians including one with a red plastic stock - they wanted about $250-300 for those. The chinese SkS they had there started at about $225.

I still kick myself. When I was in college- around '93 or so, my roommate bought a chinese SKS for $70 from a store that had a bunch of them at that price. Instead of going down there and buying one myself, I gave him a hard time for buying a cheap commie rifle.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:15 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the info on the SKS project site BigJ12, i checked it out and submited the codes from my rifle, dont know if it went through though after i hit submit i got a 404 error.

Looks like my SK is a little bit of a variety of parts. The receiver is stamped with a 0223 rectangle code with the numbers 70 and 33 before and after. It has a scope mount with a 016 Triangle code and made in china stamped on it and the serial number on the trigger guard doesnt match the serial number on the receiver. Looks like the trigger guard, trigger assembly and scope mount were added later from a diffrent gun.

It was interesting to know about all the laws, i didnt realize it was till so strict on modifications. I have had my SKS for about 12 years bought it from a friend for 125 dollars. I bought a steel 30 round mag for it just before the ban and a synthetic pistol grip stock after the ban. The stock has the locking block in it to keep it from folding. You can take the block out and fold it but you cant shoot it with the stock unfolded without the block because it has no rigidity to it, it swings close very easily and is unsafe, so i keep the block in it. It has the factory spike bayonet which i always believed was russian, is that true.

Oh well i just keep it around for fun, plinking targets and making noise/

Dave
Old 02-24-2006, 02:44 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: BeltedMag

Thanks for the info on the SKS project site BigJ12, i checked it out and submited the codes from my rifle, dont know if it went through though after i hit submit i got a 404 error.

Looks like my SK is a little bit of a variety of parts. The receiver is stamped with a 0223 rectangle code with the numbers 70 and 33 before and after. It has a scope mount with a 016 Triangle code and made in china stamped on it and the serial number on the trigger guard doesnt match the serial number on the receiver. Looks like the trigger guard, trigger assembly and scope mount were added later from a diffrent gun.

It was interesting to know about all the laws, i didnt realize it was till so strict on modifications. I have had my SKS for about 12 years bought it from a friend for 125 dollars. I bought a steel 30 round mag for it just before the ban and a synthetic pistol grip stock after the ban. The stock has the locking block in it to keep it from folding. You can take the block out and fold it but you cant shoot it with the stock unfolded without the block because it has no rigidity to it, it swings close very easily and is unsafe, so i keep the block in it. It has the factory spike bayonet which i always believed was russian, is that true.

Oh well i just keep it around for fun, plinking targets and making noise/

Dave
I might be wrong here but Ithought the Russian SKS's had blade bayonets. The spike bayonets I think are Chinese.

Yeah you have to be carefull what you do to it. A bayonet, pistol grip and detatchable mag. I believe means you must be 922(r) compliant.

Old 03-13-2006, 04:10 PM
Fork Horn

I have a SKS that uses AK clips, has a thumb-hole stock and a 16 1/2 inch barrel. It say ,on the side of the action, SKS made in China by Norenco ( and it says it is a sporter). Has anybody seen any of these. It was a pre-ban. I payed $150 for it,new.