Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

SKS question???

Old 02-16-2006, 12:45 PM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: SKS question???

Excellent posts Briman.

Many people think that since to end of the assault weapon ban it's ok to do what you want to your rifles. This is not the case. 922(r) is still on the books and still confusing.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:39 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the info. Do you have a link to a webpage with info on 922(r)?
Old 02-17-2006, 05:40 PM

The paratrooper is made to take AK mags. It is not a kalishnakov action at all but the Simonov action. So it is an SKS in every way. It just takes a detatchable mag. They are not that rare. I would see at least a few at every gun show. They seemed to be about 40% more exoensive, but that was back when the prices for Chinese and Russian SKS rifles was reasonable. I saw a chines paratrooper SKS for about 200 bucks, when the Chinese SKS was about $125.00. Of course I remeber when the chinese SKS rifles were hard for dealers to sell for 50 bucks.
okcmco
Old 02-20-2006, 01:14 AM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: okcmco

The paratrooper is made to take AK mags. It is not a kalishnakov action at all but the Simonov action. So it is an SKS in every way. It just takes a detatchable mag. They are not that rare. I would see at least a few at every gun show. They seemed to be about 40% more exoensive, but that was back when the prices for Chinese and Russian SKS rifles was reasonable. I saw a chines paratrooper SKS for about 200 bucks, when the Chinese SKS was about $125.00. Of course I remeber when the chinese SKS rifles were hard for dealers to sell for 50 bucks.
okcmco
I just read thatonly 8% of the SKS carbines were made to accept AK detachable mags. I don't know if any of theparatroopers were configured that way though.I havea paratrooper and it has the regular SKS 10rd fixed mag. You're right they are not that rare but strange enough they are more expensive. Mine is a ChineseMil. Type 56 from Factory 26 Imported by CJA Southfield MI. with all matching numbers.I believe the Serial# dates it to the late 1960's

Below is a link, scroll down and itlists the types of SKS's as well as the different configurations and approximate numbers from data that was submitted. Approx. 88% have standard length barrels, Approx. 12% have the 16.5in Paratrooper barrels. Approx. 92% use ths SKS mags and Approx.8% use the AK mags. pretty cool site.

http://www.simonov.net/project.htm

Fun to shoot no doubt.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:13 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for all the good information.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:31 PM
Typical Buck

The website is not giving me the information after I entered all of my information. My SKS is a chinese16 1/2" barrel paratrooper model with AK47 clips made in plant 016 serial #94424XX.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:32 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: Gundigest

The website is not giving me the information after I entered all of my information. My SKS is a chinese16 1/2" barrel paratrooper model with AK47 clips made in plant 016 serial #94424XX.
I really don't think it matters all that much. I think it's safe to say you have one of the harder to get sks's in that a very low percentage were made into the paratrooper style and an even lower percentage that were factory designed to accept the AK mags........and you have BOTH in one rifle

I don't think you will see too may like yours. This is just my opinion but I would put it into as original state as you can and leave it that way.

If you want one to tinker with one there are far more "run of the mill" sks's to be had for not much money.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I saw a paratrooper model in a gunshop yesterday that accepts AK mags- they wanted close to $400 for it.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:18 AM
Typical Buck

It is in perity good shape and I only paid $150 for it with two 30 round clips and a 5 round clip. There is one on gunbroker.com for about $400 also.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:33 AM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: Briman

I saw a paratrooper model in a gunshop yesterday that accepts AK mags- they wanted close to $400 for it.
WOW! and to think, you can buy standardYugo'sin my areafor under $120.00

Quick Reply: SKS question???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.