Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

sks

Old 02-14-2006, 07:35 PM
Spike

Default sks

Can anyone tell me the difference and the advantages between a russian, chinese, and a yugoslavian SKS. I went shooting a few weeks ago and shot a chinese sks. They are really fun to shoot. The ammo is also very cheap thats why i love it. Is it worth spending $150 for one a getting one of those synthetic sporter stocks from cabelas. It would be a good coyote gun if i practice with the open sights a little more. If anybody has been down this road before, letme know what you think. Thanks
Old 02-14-2006, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: sks

Of the three, I personally would rank in order of desirability, 1. Yugo 59/66, 2. Russian 3. Chinese. You'll pay more for the Russian.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:32 PM

The Chinese SKS rifles imported into the US were not military rifles, they were built for import. Quality varied tremendously depending on where and when the rifles were built. Some were good, some were so-so, and some had problems. I'd look for a Yugo or a Russian, and leave them stock...any changes to military rifles will reduce any collector value it might have down the line.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

One might rank the Yugo or the Soviet ahead of the Chinese version, but one of the most accurate SKS's I've fired was a Norinco. It shot 2 MOA with a 4X scope on it, using different handloads and cheapo military ammo. They all had crappy triggers..... This was the main obstacle to good shooting with anySKS I've shot. I understand that there are "match-grade" trigger group assemblies available for the SKS, but I have not had a chance totry one. If theywork, it would be a great improvement for this rifle.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Fuctionability i think there much the same(they work when there suppose to)- but some those chinese can be ruff(its variable) from what i understand.
The ruski& ugos having better finishs.

I really dont know whats imported into this(US) country now with ugos /russians .( just no chinese)

But back in 94 clintoon banned the importation of chinese firearms& ammo& that ban is still on.(gota chinese pistol or2 before that to)

One of the chinese ones i have was made in the late 50,s when the ruskis first brought the equipment to china to make them there sino/chinese early model according to the factory arsonal stamp- low sereal #*& other features& from what i have read on its history etc
The later chinese ones have cromelined barrels etc too.

I think the ammo can be some what hard to come by at this time- tho ussally reallycheap yep

Ps-sorry i didnt see the above about problems with the chinese ones- never had any with mine so -far.

15 or so yrs neglected some & many thousands of rounds later- for the $100 dollars i spent i cant complain tho.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

But yap my memorys bad to(and my1 good eye)- i have heard of some possibleproblems- its even on the one armors tape i bought to& how to fix.

Warmed my mate& kids who shot the sks,s if they go full auto "slam fires?" just hang unto them- will have to take the one apart esp (more then normal)sometime see if there any wear etc in that part.

Old 02-15-2006, 03:00 PM
Typical Buck

Not to hijack this thread, but does anyone have any info to turn the SKS into full auto? A friend has one and was thinking about ordering a book or something to show him how to do it. I told him that I would ask on here first and save him the trouble.

Old 02-15-2006, 03:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

I dont know- but that does sound illegal- unless oked by the Atf
Old 02-15-2006, 03:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldnt recomend it tho= could get you a lot of trouble- sks,s where never met to be select fire /or full auto
Old 02-15-2006, 06:43 PM

Besides the fact its illegal, how do you know there isnt a BATF troll surfing this website ? why would anybody want a full auto sks anyway ? it only has a 10 round mag and would probably ony slam-fire even if you could convert it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.